Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
GA
City
Atalnta
For the last 3 weeks or so, I've had oropharyngeal dysphagia and have been having trouble eating breakfast cereal and chips like Funyuns. Today, though, as if by magic, I can suddenly eat Funyuns and cereal with relative ease.

I'm still having some slight trouble with other foods -- french fries are still sticking a little bit. The only changes I've made is drinking a lot more water and cleaning my mouth a lot better (a nurse thought that hyposalivation and clogged salivary glands might be the problem). I've also tried eating more B12 vitamin foods as I've heard that a deficiency could be a cause of dysphagia.

Would this sudden shift back to normal (or more normal) swallowing more or less rule out ALS? I've heard that reinnervation can cause ALS symptoms to regress but that it usually takes weeks or months for it to happen. This change occurred over the course of 1-2 days.

Only a neurologist can rule out ALS.

I guess the better question would be -- does ALS typically act this way? Would this point away from ALS and maybe towards some other condition?

ALS typically does not improve. It only gets worse. Swallowing difficulties typically begin with liquids not solids. Follow up with your physician(s) of course

As this user shares an ip address, name age and complaint with another username this thread is closed. Multiple accounts are not allowed

lovely Nikki, you forgot to lock the thread :)

Thanks Tillie. Too much going on. Locking now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back