Reason
Other
Country
US
State
NJ
City
Hackensack
Hello everyone. I would first like to say that to each and everyone of you battling this disease my heart and prayers are with each and everyone on you. Only God can give us the strength to deal with these devastating diseases and I am hopeful that He can lead you through with dignity and hope. I also would like to announce that I have a new business venture that I am working on and the launch date it May 5 of this year. I plan on being an advocate for this disease and advertising it's awareness on our website. I will follow up with everyone once we launch. Having lost a friends mom to als and a parent of one of my children's friends and now having my own issues I feel obligated to help spread the word and bring more noteriaty to it. Will will also be accepting donations as well that will be sent directly to the als foundation. If someone can lead me to the right group or person so that I can have it set up properly I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you.

Anyway, I am very sorry for posting this, but I have had very bad HA after watching a documentary on cable tv with a person that had als. Every since the viewing my anxiety is though the roof and I am having a hard time getting through my days. Luckily I have 3 kids to preoccupy me at times, however my life has been consumed the last 4 months with the fear that I have als. All I do is obsess. It's has consumed me.

My questions are this, I am having significantly slurred speech one other person has noticed only aside from myself. Everyday is seems to be worse in the afternoon. No swallowing problems, yawning, or chewing issues. Been to a neuro he said all clear but slurring has gotten worse. I do 500 push-ups a day and are as active as I can be supporting a family of 5. My tongue is fine. I can touch my nose with it do tongue gymnastics just fine, and there seems to be no weakness there. No fascullations. But my slurring is very bad and I am scared to death to go for an emg. Neuro said if I has gotten worse, call to schedule one and it has....

With only slurring as a symptom and tongue seems to be strong, can this be associated with als? No weaknesss anywhere. Just slurring of words....the muscles around my mouth feel kind of funny. Mostly happens with s's and g's. But I am the CEO of a fairly large business and do a lot of talking to others throughout the day so it's extremely obvious there is an issue.

Your answers are very much appreciated and may God bless all of you on this forum.

I am a male 43 years old. Btw.

>>If someone can lead me to the right group or person so that I can have it set up properly I would greatly appreciate it.

Best next step is to find ALS specific clinic and requested diagnostic session. Here in Houston for example Dr. Appell has a three day intensive ALS evaluation which gets you a yes or no.

Best of luck,

Max

Max thank you for your response. I am from the NJ area however, so it would be tough for me to get to Houston.

In lieu of that being said, does anyone think that without tongue weakness and just slurred speech present can this possibly be als? I know it can possibly be anything, but I have no weakness anywhere, my tongue is very strong, and no twitching and or fascillations. I do have a funny/weird feeling in my jaw and chin.

Today was a very roughy day for me. I'm trying to stay positive but not doing a very good job of it.

You have seen a Neurologist and you wrote that he said, "All clear..." Have you or did you follow up with him being that this symptom has seemed to persist? If you tell him that you are scared you have ALS and it is nearly consuming you... he can refer you to an ALS clinic in the NJ area. In a previous post (I think, because you have started a Thread) you said you were scared to death of having an EMG. Hate to say it... there ain't no way around it if you go to an ALS Clinic. Hope you get good news if you do.

PS. You also wrote, ("I feel obligated to help spread the word and bring more noteriaty to it. Will will also be accepting donations as well that will be sent directly to the als foundation. If someone can lead me to the right group or person so that I can have it set up properly I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you.") The ALS Foundation might be a good start.

Max thank you for your response. I am from the NJ area however, so it would be tough for me to get to Houston.

In lieu of that being said, does anyone think that without tongue weakness and just slurred speech present can this possibly be als? I know it can possibly be anything, but I have no weakness anywhere, my tongue is very strong, and no twitching and or fascillations. I do have a funny/weird feeling in my jaw and chin.

Today was a very roughy day for me. I'm trying to stay positive but not doing a very good job of it.

Do yourself a favor and go to a psychiatrist and pick up some anti-anxiety meds. If you're really desperate, drop by the ER tonight and speak to the on-call psychiatrist. They'll get you something to calm you down. Trust me, as a long time hypochondriac, the mental health stuff will destroy you if you let it.

As for your speech, has anyone else noticed it? Have you asked anyone -- "is my speech slurred?"

One other person has said my speech is slurred. Other than that no. Today I felt like I couldn't even speak so I sort of kept to myself. Closed my office door. I am on lexipro and Xanax as needed but there is something more going on. I don't take the Xanax much because I don't want to become dependent on it. I am scheduled to see my therapist tomorrow hoping for some direction.

I know I have to go for emg that's the only way.

There hasn't been the responses that I would have expected with no tongue weakness or other symptoms. It seems to me that it's still a possibility with only the slurred speech...

One thing I would like to mention is that if I read from a book or magazine, no slurring. Once I talk in a conversation it's slurs all over the place ...

Clearly you should be checking back with your physician. However if only one person has noticed anything I doubt your slurring is "very bad" as you said. Also being able to read aloud without an issue would seem to point away from a physiological issue. However you need to go, be reevaluated and accept an expert opinion. If they recommend an EMG have one. Regarding your tongue strength and mobility I can tell you when my sister started to have speech issues she was already losing some control. The aLS research study I am in tests tongue strength and mobility so they clearly think it is important ( and those tests are no fun at all!)

Be sure and talk to your 'therapist' tomorrow about you taking Lexapro. It has many side effects including those that would effect your speech. That is a very powerful drug.

There hasn't been the responses that I would have expected with no tongue weakness or other symptoms. It seems to me that it's still a possibility with only the slurred speech...

This bit in particular REALLY makes me think it's anxiety. I've read at least one story of a guy on the BFS forums who had slurred speech that all turned out to be in his head.

I'm 97.9% sure you're going to be okay.

- Mike

Sorry I mean the part where you said there was no slurring when you read from a book or magazine. Not what I quoted before.

Just to give you an idea of how powerful the mind is. When I thought I had ALS -- I suddenly started to get these tremors in my face when I whistled or blew air out my mouth. As soon as I distracted my mind, though, by tapping on the desk or something, the tremors went away. It was all in my head. I also read at the BFS forums about a guy who started slurring his speech after reading about ALS -- again, all in his head.

Let me guess -- the tremors came on after you saw that documentary? Seriously. Anxiety is a crazy thing. Go get some anxiety meds and maybe even request some beta-blockers. They might even get rid of all your symptoms and cause you to cancel your EMG and get on with your life.

Slurred speech in & of itself is no guarantee that you have ALS. MS,and many other things could be the cause. Your doctor should run complete blood analysis (14 to 20 tubes of blood), an EEG, and MRI's. You did not say you have twitches or muscle cramping/numbness and weakness. If it may be ALS, you will experience muscle issues, usually mostly on one side initially. That is why it is called "lateral". You may have nothing serious at all. I think most people with ALS know up-front that there is something serious happening.

Als, No.. Something is wrong, but it is not Als. Get it checked out, please relax your fine. Take Care

veryscared3303 (Mike), in your Thread you said that your neurologist told you that you did not have any disease. But, you do have severe anxiety. If I might gently say, this is not an anxiety forum. (Sometimes it may seem like it is with the recent re-runs of Threads we've seen.) But... it is not. Ok, you do not have any MND... if you continue to address anxiety issues of others, with you yourself being an anxiety patient, the cycle only continues. Now it's your turn, leave the Forum and go on with your life... free of ALS or any MND.

I understand this isn't an anxiety forum and apologize if I have offended anyone. I hope that I am fine, as I have 3 children all under 8. Girls nonetheless. I know these diseases have no mind or choose no one, They merely happen. My faith in God will eventually get me through this. As I said I have lost 2 people to this horrible disease. One close to me the other a friend of a friend so to speak, so I am aware of its potential.

My hope, regardless of whether I have it or not, is that a cure is around the corner. It just seems unfair as to the progression of the disease and it's end result and no one on this earth should have to endure that fate. I will continue to be an advocate on bringing more attention to it for however much time I have left on this planet.

Thank you again for taking the time to read my post and most importantly reply if you have. Whether you have been diagnosed, are a care giver of someone with, are simply afraid of contracting, or just curious about, my prayers are with all of you in hope that God will heal your pain and you will welcome him as your savior in doing so.

Looking forward to my appointment tomorrow and possible and emg in the near future to quell my worry and doubt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back