Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
South
City
City
Hi,

Im 26 soon to be 27. If i remember correctly I had posted in late 2011 and early 2012 about twitching and swallowing problems. Those symptoms have continued until now... Well, the fasciculations have gotten worse! Much much worse. The fatigue is there. The occasional weird muscle cramps too. And now this... In the last 6 weeks my left leg muscle has developed a dent. It's ao much smaller than the other one. It's clear as day! The whole left muscle is much smaller... And i have knee pain and weakness on that side and not too long ago i developed a left foot pain that had me limping for 10 days. Xrays were normal!

I can dismiss the fasciculations and the cramps but the muscle atrophy? That's undeniable!

Im going to be referred to a neurologist soon... Please any thoughts? And the limping could NOT have caused the atrophy.

Keep us updated on what the neurologist says.

Rick

Back in 2011 you started a thread "I think I have ALS" and you wrote ("My speech has gotten worse (English is my second language) and now I sound drunk. It's very hard to pronounce words now.."). I hope you've seen a neurologist before now, 3 years later, for that symptom! The reason I mentioned that is...on 5/07/12 Seaside asked, ("Why have you not mentioned anything about your neurological exam on Feb 17?"). You never answered. Finally, later you started another Thread titled "Pregnant and terrified! Please, I need some brutal honesty"... how's the baby doing?

Back in 2011 you started a thread "I think I have ALS" and you wrote ("My speech has gotten worse (English is my second language) and now I sound drunk. It's very hard to pronounce words now.."). I hope you've seen a neurologist before now, 3 years later, for that symptom! The reason I mentioned that is...on 5/07/12 Seaside asked, ("Why have you not mentioned anything about your neurological exam on Feb 17?"). You never answered. Finally, later you started another Thread titled "Pregnant and terrified! Please, I need some brutal honesty"... how's the baby doing?

Thanks for replying. I found out I was pregnant around Jan. 11-15 and my doctor said that no neurologist would diagnose me or run tests on me while pregnant. I did not follow through with neurologist. I had no tests done. Nothing of that sort for almost a year. I delievered my daughter on Sep 6, 2012. During 2013 my symptoms remained the same. I told myself that the fasiculations were bening as I did not develop other symptoms. WRONG. I've been having left knee pain for some time but because my mom has arthrisits I dismissed it as that. The slurred speech is bad but it has not gotten progressively worse.. not that I can tell. The swallowing is the same, bad days and good days, but I deal with it. I changed jobs during during 2013 and every time I had to wait at least 4 months for the insurance to "kick in" so 2013 was not a good year for my health.

About 1 1/2 months ago I woke up limping! out of the blue... yes I thought maybe it was the shoes? the weather change? maybe i stepped wrong? well the limping and pain lasted for about 10 days. It was so bad I went to the doctor right away and ALS did not even cross my mind. My doctor sent me to get xrays of knees, feet, hands, hips! and all came back NEGATIVE for arthritis. She prescribed me TRAMADOL and sent me home with happy anti-anxiety pills too. The limping got a little better.. but then 5 days ago my knee started feeling funny (all in the same left leg) and suddly squats are really hard for me. I'm limping again! Well, because I exercise a lot I decided to take a progress pic and post it online and all was fine and I saw nothing wrong until I carefulyl exmained my legs and I noticed that the whole left leg muscle was much much smaller! I asked friends & family to examine it and they all seemed shocked.

I don't know how to post pictures here :/ but if you happen to have instagram my user name is zaranataly and the picture is there CLEAR AS DAY.

So, now what? my doctor probably thinks i'm a hypochondriac or something. She's been seeing for 4 months and I've never mentioned ot her about the fasiculations or the weird symptoms BECAUSE I WAS STRONGLY BELIVING THAT THEY WERE BENING.

Now... I'm very frightened. The fasiculations have invaded my whole body! my tongue cramps! my body is weak! Seriously who gets tongue cramps out of nowhere!? no one healthy ..

://

Unlike twitches, cramps and dents, atrophy can be a serious symptom. Why are you "going to be referred to a neurologist soon". I am not a doctor, but if you have visible atrophy, get a neuro referral now.
On the other hand, ClearwaterAl's post also raises some serious questions.

Unlike twitches, cramps and dents, atrophy can be a serious symptom. Why are you "going to be referred to a neurologist soon". I am not a doctor, but if you have visible atrophy, get a neuro referral now.
On the other hand, ClearwaterAl's post also raises some serious questions.

Dusty, thanks for replying. I'm on panic mode now. I don't know how to post pictures here.
l2gCjZnWgB
I posted an answer to the questions

I decided to look you up, there is only one person with that username on Instagram, and on that profile there are workout pictures, with you showing your abs and discussing your workout progress.

There is one picture of your legs which you are tagging #als. Your left leg is smaller, but visually it looks as if you have muscle in both legs. If you have issues with your leg leading up to a limp, that would most likely mean you are using that leg less, and that could account for the perceived atrophy. You have another picture of your legs, where you are showing off a tan, where I can see no difference whatsoever between your legs.

You seem to have no clinical weakness, being able to do squats. And doing squats with a limp, why on earth not let the body heal?

I am not a doctor either, but with "bad slurred speech", I would imagine you would get a swift referral to a neurologist. Your GP would be able to hear this. A neurologist would also be able to differentiate real atrophy, something I definately do not want to go into.

And, if I interpret your profile correctly you have some kind of vegetarian diet and drink carb shakes. If I were you, I would start eating more, and work out less for a while, and see if that lifestyle change takes away the fatigue and cramps. You are tagging yourself #excersiseaddict even.

Yes, that's me. I've always worked out. I do not understand how could I have missed the smaller left leg muscle all this time? It's only visible when I'm standing. Could it the begining of muscle atrophy? I just noticed this 2 days ago! I'm on full panic mode now.

:( I'm so busy with work I can't think straight right now.

Well, here's a list of the symptoms:

tongue cramps
smaller left muscle
limping
pain
fasiculations
cramps
weak leg
speech problems

Honestly, I've been avoding a neurologist. This is too frightening.

I've been a vegetarian for almost 7 yrs. I eat 1400 calories a day & I exercise 6 times a week. I drink 60g. of protein (the shakes) and I eat a crazy amount of vegetables. I dont' smoke, drink, do drugs, etc. I basically work out 1-2 hours a day. I had been able to do up to 200 squats or more but since the knee pain struck I can only do 50 (on a good day). I wil let my body heal, rest, take some pain killers, sleep, and see how it goes.

If it's ALS sooner or later another symptoms has to come up right?
I can only pray that this pain goes away soon & my left leg catches up to my right now. I don't know. I don't want to assume the worse. I want to live, i want these stupid twitches to go away.. :( I need to stay focused.

You just wrote, ("Honestly, I've been avoding a neurologist. This is too frightening."). Yet... you come here ranting about being scared, frightened and etc. In one Thread you wanted the "brutal truth". Well, you've heard it more than once here from more than one here... you do NOT have ALS. But, take your fear to a Neurologist ASAP and he/she will give you the "Brutal Truth".

You just wrote, ("Honestly, I've been avoding a neurologist. This is too frightening."). Yet... you come here ranting about being scared, frightened and etc. In one Thread you wanted the "brutal truth". Well, you've heard it more than once here from more than one here... you do NOT have ALS. But, take your fear to a Neurologist ASAP and he/she will give you the "Brutal Truth".

Well, I just called my family doctor and I left a message. Doctor had suggested to send me to a neurologist if my limping didn't go away. I called to request that referral now. Thanks clearwater for the brutal reply. You're right, instead of moaning and ranting I need to do something. My daughter needs me. Now, I am waiting for the nurses call me back with that referral ASAP.

Yes, your daughter needs you. So, why don't you log off internet and give her you full attention. It will also keep your mind busy why you wait for answers. NoEne of us here are doctors and from your symptoms everyone who has experience with it said you don't have ALS. Believe them! I would be limping if I exercised that much too. Slow down on it and see if it helps. Kim

It just amazes me that you could have those symptoms and concerns and not be more direct with your doctor. You sound both compulsive and anxiety ridden. It would not be recommended to work out as you do if you had ALS. Many years ago I while being an adult soccer player and working full time, I developed intermittent extreme fatigue, slow speech at times slurred, and felt mentally slow and went to my doctor. He noticed the difference and ordered a blood test. Turns out I had parathyroid disease
And within 12 hours of surgery I was a new person.
To be a responsible parent you MUST take care of yourself and get to a doctor and be completely honest.

My appointment is on May 7 @ 8:30 with a neurologist. Insurance won't cover it so that's a good $260 dollars well spent... Now the wait begins. Meanwhile I stopped exorcising so much... No change yet :/

I would be drinking Tonic water for the cramps and you might try a teaspoon of French's prepared mustard. These two thing will reduce muscle cramps very well. I had one leg that was significantly larger than the other one, for 20 years with no sign of ALS.

Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back