Reason
Other
Country
US
State
nj
City
wenonah
Hello all, I am new to this site and I wanted to read the "stickies" but I am having trouble finding them and operating the site in general. I know this site is for those who are suffering and or taking care of someone who currently suffers from ALS or has suffered from ALS. I apologize for the upcoming questions for I know that my fears may just be anxiety related. I am a 25 yrO pharmacy student who began suffering from a pain in my upper right abdomen roughly 4 months ago. I went to the doctor and had numerous amounts of blood work done and everything was normal along with CT and scans of my side and head. The pain in the right side has since subsided but comes around here and there. I recently have been suffering from muscle twitching that began 2 months ago which was very constant throughout the day but has slowed down. It started in my hamstring and has since spread throughout my body from my face to my shoulders and arms etc. I also have been yawning pretty excessively throughout the day and feel like tingling or sensations here and there. I have not experienced any muscle weakness but I also have had what feels like a chest cold that comes and goes and its felt predominately in the center of my chest which causes me to clear my throat frequently. I have been to a neurologist and he put me through a series of physical examinations and says he's sure its not ALS or MS just anxiety and stress related. I also am taking some SSIR's for anxiety but the shaking and twitches began prior to the prescription. I have pains in my calfs that come and go and I have been able to keep up with my activity's such as weight lifting, running and snowboarding. I know this all sounds crazy and you get a lot of individuals like myself living with the fear of being diagnosed with this terrible disease but I am just seeking some advice and guidance. My prayers go out to those who suffer from this disease and also to those who are caregivers. May god watch over you and god bless you all. Thank you for your time.

-Andrew

"...I am just seeking some advice and guidance."

Advice--listen to your neuro
Guidance--
twitching = anxiety
clinical weakness = possible symptom of ALS/MND

You wrote, ("I am a 25 yro pharmacy student..."). Then you wrote, ("I have been to a neurologist and he put me through a series of physical examinations and says he's sure its not ALS or MS just anxiety and stress related..."). Yet, you still fret about ALS? What better advice and guidance could anyone get but from a neurologist? Research the insidious symptoms of anxiety and stress. (Being you're a pharm student I'm sure you have a handle on reading comprehension.) You may find your guidance there. Being a college student today can be a tremendous stress. Hoping the best for you.

See post above, cleared moderation.

I appreciate the responses. I am just in fear because of the constant yawning and also the chest cold that seems to come and go. I saw on ale.org that they are symptoms of early onset of bulbar. Thank you again and god bless you all.

I would be totally thankful that you were told it is not ALS. I am suprised that you seem not to believe what your neurologist told you.

Rick

Afilewic, I read your post. You don't have a single symptom of ALS. Be thankful and don't waste your time on this forum.

Hello all, I know that everything that was suggested to me is that I do not have ALS however some new symptoms have come about and I was curious if they are relevant to ALS. I have been experiencing a buzzing/vibration feeling in my left foot for almost a week now along with continuous muscle twitching and tingling sensations all over my body (back,shoulders,nose,hands,feet etc). I have yet to experience any muscle weakness I am set up for an EMG in two weeks. Thank you for your time.

Still doesn't sound like ALS to me, but the EMG will prove it. Relax... or worry for the next 2 weeks. The choice is yours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back