Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
CO
State
Bogota
City
Bogota
Hi all! I cant help but think that my left hand looks weird under my pinky! It looks as if it indents when it gets closer to my wrist. Also that same side of my hand gets bumpy when I pick things up but my right side doesnt. Im pasting some pictures of my left weird hand and my right normal looking hand so you guys please tell me what to think. The left hand is the ha d i feel twitch sometimes at that same spot. I have no weakness and have a clean emg 6 months ago. Please tell me what think, I am pregnant and have developed carpal tunnel because of it. Im not sure if this could be related! Please help, thinking of this hand has been driving me crazy since january!

Attachments

• image (1).jpg
    image (1).jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 2,083
  • image (2).jpg
    image (2).jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 2,103
  • image (3).jpg
    image (3).jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 2,509
  • image (4).jpg
    image (4).jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 19,697
  • image (5).jpg
    image (5).jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 7,819
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 1,601
Last edited by a moderator:
Best see a neuro.

But carpal tunnel doesnt cause atrophy and doesnt affect that side of the hand. Does my hand look
Atrophied to you?

When my hand is flat and relaxed they both look normal.

Please see your physician. We are not doctors.

But, Yes, CTS does sometimes occur in pregnancy!

If you have tingling, numb and painful hands during pregnancy, it's likely to be caused by carpal tunnel syndrome (CTS).

" CTS is common in pregnancy and happens when there is a build-up of fluid in the tissues in your wrist (oedema). This swelling places pressure on your median nerve, which causes the tingling and numbness in your hand. You may also experience a lack of coordination and grip in your fingers and hands.

CTS usually happens in your second trimester or third trimester. If you have it in one pregnancy, you are likely to have it in later pregnancies. CTS can also continue, or develop, in the days after the birth of your baby.

You may find it difficult to grip things and do anything which requires fine movements of your hands and fingers. CTS will be worse in your dominant hand and in the first and middle fingers, though it may affect your whole hand. It may be particularly painful when you wake up in the morning, because your hands have been curled up at night.

You're more likely to develop CTS if your family has a history of it, and if you've had any problems with your back, neck or shoulders. So a slipped disc, broken collar bone or whiplash injury increases your likelihood of having CTS.

If you put on too much weight in pregnancy you're more likely to develop CTS. This may happen if you are expecting more than one baby, if you were already overweight before you become pregnant, or if your breast size increases considerably during pregnancy. This all puts extra strain on your shoulders, ribs and arms.

CTS is uncomfortable, but it's not usually a serious condition. You'll probably find that it eases off within a week or two of your baby's birth. By then your hormone and fluid levels will return to normal. If you are still suffering a few months after your baby is born, your doctor may recommend surgery to reduce the discomfort and pain, but this isn't usually needed.
How can I prevent the pain and numbness?

Try to eat a balanced diet to prevent weight gain, including a small amount of lean protein such as meat, poultry, eggs, beans and pulses, with each meal. Aim to reduce how much salt, sugar and fat you have. Drink plenty of water and eat at least five portions of fruit and vegetables every day.

Eating foods high in vitamin B6 will help to promote a healthy nervous system. Good sources are:
sunflower and sesame seeds
dark green vegetables, such as broccoli
garlic
hazelnuts
lean meat, such as pork and lamb
avocados
fish, such as salmon and cod
Check with your midwife or doctor before taking a vitamin B supplement, so you know how much to take.

If your breast size increases a lot, make sure you are fitted early for a properly supportive maternity bra. This will take the weight off your ribcage and breastbone and help to prevent compression or irritation of the nerve anywhere along its path.
What self-help tips can I try?

Ask your midwife to provide you with hand splints to wear at night. Splints will stop you from curling your hands while you sleep."[/COLOR]

How did you put pics into your post? I tried a week ago and it didn't work.

Tony,

"Go advanced " . Scroll down to " manage attachments"

Follow the links.

Let me know if you need more help...just be careful which body part picture you are posting! JUST KIDDING!

Thank u for your replys, i just want to know if this looks like and atrophied hand, thats all.

It does not look at all atrophied to me. What did your physician say?

Last edited:
Go to your doctor. I repeat, we are NOT doctors.

Thank u so much for taking the time to answer my neuro said
It did not look like atrophy at all. I dont know why i keep obsessing.

I am not a neuro but it does not look like atrophy to me..your hand has good muscle tone overall it seems. If you have no weakness I would listen to your neuros advice to try and stop worrying!

Ta Dah! This is atrophy!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    829.3 KB · Views: 17,474
Texas tracy thank u for sharing and all of the rest of u as well! You dont think this looks like early atrophy then? If i did have atrophy in my hyperthenar would i already have weakness?

Why keep asking the same question? (don't answer, I'm speaking rhetorically)

You have posted photos and asked repeatedly, and repeatedly a bunch of people have said NO it does not look like atrophy. I will add one more last person telling you, it does NOT look like atrophy and even a neurologist has told you that.

Please leave this forum and get back to your doctor and receive help in finding out what is wrong with you knowing that ALS is OFF the agenda. I wish you all the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back