Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
UK
State
Hereford
City
Hereford
Hi all, I know it hasn't been very long since I last posted but I have another question if that's ok? I've been reading a lot of people have muscle soreness as an early symptom and I'm wondering if any one can elaborate on this? Does weakness or atrophy follow next? If so how long after? Many thanks and thank you for being so helpful x

Can you be more specific - the problem I have in responding is in defining "soreness" or do you mean pain/painful...There is ample evidence of pain in many people with ALS and it is usually associated with limb onset and not early stage but I may be wrong on that...

Can you pls. elaborate on what you mean by soreness?

Hi, thanks for replying. I've read about people having sore muscles ( not sure what ones as they didn't say) in the very early stages of als, one lady said her arms were sore the next day after holding her grand child. I am experiencing daily soreness in my left thigh after very little exercise, even walking. It also feels very tight but not stiff. Thanks again

Amy you have been posting about soreness and other symptoms for months. You have seen a neurologist as well as a GP and a physiotherapist I believe. You have a 19 page thread on the bfs si te where they have constantly reassured you. If you can not accept this go back and speak to your GP and be honest about symptoms and about your difficulty in accepting the medical opinions. It does not sound like ALS and other than advising follow up AND dealing with the anxiety you reported elsewhere we can not help you further

Thanks Nikki, I know you're right I'm just scared. My symptoms are constant and it's hard to forget them. I don't want to bother the drs again as it's embarrassing. I want to believe the neurologist but he didn't do an EMG and from what I understand that's the only thing that can diagnose als. Thanks for your time

From everything I've been told by my neurologist and everything I've read, pain or soreness is not an early symptom, most people don't experience it until well after they've been diagnosed. There are a lot of us who have a fear of this disease, some more warranted then others, but imagine the panic if everyone who experienced soreness thought they had als. Someone once said on this site "ALS isn't about feeling, but failing".

Hi slimva, thanks for replying. It's just the twitching and soreness really have me freaked out, I try to put it out of my mind but I literally can't stop worrying about it.

I understand you are scared but all the reassurances you have been given clearly do not help you. It is your GP's job to
Help you with health issues you are not bothering him. If the conclusion of your health care team is health anxiety there is help for it. If you really believe there is another answer than bfs and anxiety then the road to that answer is through your clinicians as well. All I can say regarding your symptoms is they do not sound like anything the 5 afflicted members of my family had

hello from alsornot....i know the als test is just a guidline for progression, not a diagnostic tool! primary lateral sclerosis was suggested 2 years ago but now that i have fasciculations in the calf with definate clinical weakness...diagnosed on an 'emg' the drs. are re examining all my test...and i have a wonderful psychiatrist who is working with my family dr and neurologist and he asked me last week if i wanted to hear my diagnosis and if i was prepared and i said yes..i have a great team behind me! i see not you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back