Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
Id
City
S
Hi everyone. I am new here. Can you give me some information and opinions on my symptoms? I am a 32 year old male.

Six weeks ago I was under a huge amount of stress. Not sleeping much, and had a lot of anxiety. I woke up one morning six weeks ago with what I first characterized as both my legs feeling numb. After a few days I realize that both my legs were just very tight. My calves and hamstrings were very tight and when I would hike my right calf would feel like it was about to cramp but didn't. Both legs stayed very tight. I tried exercise and stretching but it didn't help. After about 5 weeks I started getting some twitching in me calves. Within a couple days the twitching spread to all parts of my body, calves, quads, hamstrings, arms, hands, back. A couple days after the twitching started I went to a neurologist and had no weakness or atrophy that I or he noticed. I had an EMG done at that point and it came back completely normal. What do you guys think. The twitching seems to get much worse with exercise.

Thanks for your help.

I also have had a couple instances where I had bad cramping in my legs during this time. Calves, hamstrings, and thighs. This happened during uphill hiking.

What did the neuro say? If he/she said you are ok please listen and stop worrying. Were you possibly told it was anxiety or stress?

He said with the EMG clean it was likely BFS. I am concerned about the stiffness and cramps being before the twitching but I don't know how fast these things progress or when they would show up on the EMG.

I would go with the neuro opinion. If things don 't improve in 3 - 6 months, go back for a follow up.

There is a wonderful support group for bfs. Aboutbfs dot com. Please if you have not done so join there. You will find many others with similar issues

If this was ALS it would have shown up on the EMG right?

Right. Clean EMG = not ALS

BFS is an unpleasant, nasty thing but much, much preferred over a motor neuron disease! If your EMG was clean, you cannot be diagnosed with ALS. A happy dance would be in order! BFS will not destroy your muscles.

I think that you should trust what your Neurologist said. furthermore I would be very great full that it is not ALS because this is one nasty bad boy and I would not wish it on my worst enemy.

Rick

("Six weeks ago I was under a huge amount of stress. Not sleeping much, and had a lot of anxiety.") Stress and anxiety are often brushed off by so many people. Are you drinking energy drinks, high caffeine coffee drinks, strenuous work outs and on a low carb diet?

So do you guys believe that the EMG would see the abnormalities this early into the symptoms?

You need to stop... This worrying will make you crazy!

Doesn't matter what we believe... What matters is what your neuro believes and that you believe him/her.

I agree with Elaine. STOP.
Final answer--the EMG is far more sensitive and discerning than your feelings. If your nerves were denervating, the EMG would pick it up long before you could feel symptoms. A clean EMG is proof it's not ALS. It may be something else (don't ask us what) but it's not ALS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back