Other
Country
US
State
Texas
City
Dallas
Hi Guys,

I've been lurking for awhile and hoping not to have to post, but I didn't pass 2 of the sensory tests on my feet at my neuro appointment so I am at a loss as to what is going on. I can't get the EMG done until next Friday and I will be a mess until then. I'm a 28 year old female and i thought I was in decent health.

My symptoms have been feeling that my feet are freezing all the time and some numbness in parts of my feet causing me to change my gait and walk a little funny. Pins and needles, bottom of feet feel like I'm stepping on glass sometimes (comes and goes) and I feel the sensation of a cold liquid underneath my skin around my thighs and calves. I feel like I am walking to the left, but evreyone says I am walking fine.
Been going on for about a month after a time of high stress in my life. I was praying this was just stress too.

The neuro couldn't get a babinski reflex at all on either feet and acted like that was bad. Actually the tool he used hurt - made whatever is going on flair up. Felt like sharp stabbing pains for 2-3 minutes after that at the bottom of my feet. I thought the babinski test could be normal with no reaction as long as it wasn't positive? Also, the tool that touches different part of your legs and feet that is cold to the touch was freezing on all parts of my body except my feet. Apparently my sensory nerves are going haywire? I don't know- he mumbled possible MS to his assistant when he ordered my brain MRI.

I asked about ALS and he laughed and said that was the least of his concern. I know the EMG will rule it out but based on all my symptoms being sensory- should I put ALS to rest? I am pretty anxious about it.

Neuro's initial reaction was peripheral neuropathy or possible MS. But wants to see brain MRI next week and EMG next Friday.

Also, I should mention I had been doing tons of strength testing in my paranoia and I can stand on tip toes, heels, etc. Neuro even remarked how well I did on the heel test- lol. Guess I am a pro. If only the rest of my foot didn't feel like crap.

neuropathy comes to mind as I have this in both feet separate of ALS.... Did you get checked for diabetes, same symptom

Trust your neuro. ALS's principle symptom is weakness, with little or no sensory issues. That's not you. Pins and needles can always be a diabetic neuropathy. But actually there are so many peripheral neuropathies it could be anything at this point... even anxiety. Relax, you don't need to wait for the EMG to know it's not ALS.

I had a CBC in Jan that showed what they call a "high normal" for blood sugar. its 82-86ish with pre-diabetes being over 100 I believe. I do have PCOS so I know my body doesn't like sugar and I try to stay away from it the best I can. Its always been a bit high though - don't know why this would suddenly start.

My neuro thought peripheral neuropathy as well (before any of the testing begins - it was his best guess- and i guess i should trust him with 21 years experience) and didn't seem concerned. Can anxiety/stress really cause it? I have been having a rough 2014 and have been under ALOT stress.

I also had some of the same weird temp issues and stinging pain in my right hand, but it has gone away only to be replaced by both of my feet acting bizarre.

They took enough blood to last a lifetime (15 tubes- yikes), so I guess I will know if its autoimmune or not Next Friday when i go back for the EMG.

I guess what freaks me out is even though I can see my foot doing what I tell it to do - move, bend, twist, walk, etc. -- the numbness or weird sensations that accompany it made me think my foot is crapping out on me all together.

Thanks for squelching my ALS fears. One thing i can check off my list.
Wishing you guys a good weekend.

Any other thoughts as to what the heck this may be are welcomed.

Are you diabetic? This sure sounds like peripheral neuropathy to me.

82-86ish should take diabetic neuropathy off the table. (Though there are still a hundred other causes of peripheral neuropathy.)
"Can anxiety/stress really cause it?"
Unfortunately, yes. And the worse thing is that anxiety can present many "false" symptoms that can just make the diagnosis that much more complicated and lengthy. So the best thing you can do is relax. It will help you and your doctors. And maybe your symptoms will ease off a bit. "Relax, don't be anxious..." Easy for me to say, harder for you to do. But do try...

Thanks Dusty. Man that would be so great if it really was just stress causing my nerves to act up. I will try and relax - I keep telling myself that since I can still walk and run and climb stairs that I am ok. It may feel weird- but I can do it.

Sensory nerve stuff is just so unsettling.

its the A1C that determines pre-diabetic and not a blood test or two...and with an 82-86, that is actually low and most diabetics even insulin dependent never get to that and sustain it.....he is talking about a history of "being a bit high"....something doesn't jive.

I must have misunderstood. I'm not well versed in blood work. I just know my doctor ran a CBC and my diabetes range was 82-86 I forget the exact number but she wrote no diabetes on there. My neuro is repeating a ton of bloodwork - 15 viles worth.

I'm just curious what an EMG will show the neuro. Would neuropathy cause a bad test result?

Just want to say not one of your symptoms fit ALS--so that is a relief I am sure. We are not doctors so I suggest you stop lurking here and wait and talk to your doctor at your next appt. your symptoms could be many things but not ALS!

Thanks Barbie. It is a relief. Have a good weekend all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back