Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
UK
State
England
City
London
Hi Ive just joined this forum, I'm a 17 year old who only found out what ALS was yesterday and now I'm really freaked out that I'm gonna die in 2 years or so:(!

I really value life, and my biggest fear is it getting taken away from me before Ive even lived it...My life is being ruined my anxiety at the moment and being worried about this disease is the lowest of the low..Ive never felt so anxious! I don't feel like doing anything because anxiety is just taking over my life

Basically like 8 months ago I had a fasciculation in my arm, I get them in different places ever since now..Sometimes in my thigh, Sometimes in my right arm, either bicep or tricep and sometimes in my left arm either tricep or bicep, sometimes in my face..Like under my eye. Sometimes they are little fasciculations and sometimes it's like shaking(Woke up from a nap the other week and hand was shaking a little bit for about 2 minutes) .. But they last no longer than about 5 minutes each time..Some only like 2 minutes and some only a few seconds, I didn't get them often but the past week Ive noticed them more probably because Ive been more focused on them. I haven't been worried about them for 8 months but yesterday when my arm started shaking I decided to google and came across Motor neuron diseases and got so freaked out! I mentioned this shaking and twitching to my dad and he says he gets them all the time and always has.

Since It's been 8 months since these have started and I don't show any signs of weakness shall I just forget about ALS, Today I looked what my strength was like and I am still able to lift my dumbells, Do 100 pushups throughout the day (20 every 2-4 hours) and run/jog. In the past 8 months that Ive had these I am still able to play football 3 times a week so show no signs of weakness at all.

What I do have is an anxiety disorder, I'm a massive hypochondriac... Over the past year Ive gone through thinking I have pneumonia, bowel cancer, lymphoma, leukemia, bone tumours, oral cancer, eye cancer, penile cancer, heart cancer, heart diseases, brain tumour and now ALS! I'm hoping since Ive turned to not have any of these diseases that the chances are that I don't have ALS! But I'm still terrified! I have an appointment to see a psychiatrist soon about my anxiety.

Since I'm 17 and from what Ive described shall I stop worrying? Especially since the twitching/shaking has gone on for 8 months and I haven't had any other symptoms...I'm unsure what the chances of getting ALS at my age are so I apprecaite anyone who helps me with my worries on this post!

You can't be serious...

Make an appointment and tell your dr you have anxiety issues. Do not leave the office without drugs.

This is the wrong forum for you.

Good bye, and good luck.

Are you saying it's ridiculous for me think I have ALS? Sorry, I'm really uneducated about this disease but googling it yesterday just freaked me out so much

Llodent if you have no weakness, you do not have ALS. Twitching is very common if you have anxiety.

Thanks Kosmoskatten, If I can still do 100 pressups in a day, and can play football 3 times a week and can still lift my dumbells shall I rule out ALS Since the twitching/shaking started 8 months ago

shall I rule out ALS Since the twitching/shaking started 8 months ago

Yes you shall...

I agree with Cgars--get on some drugs and enjoy the fun life you obviously have.

now quickly before you catch anything from us--LOG OFF of this forum.

Weakness is the number 1 symptom of ALS. You have no weakness. What Google page said you could have ALS with no weakness? Is there some Google site that says that fasciculations are all it takes to diagnose ALS? We must find that page and kill it!

Not to be unfeeling but I wonder how many would come on here if they knew that ALS was contagious via electrons, keyboards and Google Malware?

As stupid as I may sound to you all, I appreciate all your replies, It's just my anxiety is terrible I always need reassurance for things!

So just to clarify, Dusty7 says weakness is the number 1 symptom of ALS, If I had ALS for about 8 months would I not be able to lift my dumbells, do pressups 100 times a day and play football 3 times a week with no trouble? What kind of state would I be in?

Stop it!

You have no idea what we are living and are now being rude to think that we have the time or energy to feed your fears.

No reassurance is going to come from here, work with your doctors and stay away from this forum.

I wish you the best, but we cannot help

Sorry, I don't mean to offend anyone at all I was just looking for reassurance which I have found of a few of these replies..
I came on this forum because I thought it was for people who were worried about ALS so I apologise for anyone who is going through this disease and am terribly sorry that you have to go through it

OCD... Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. See post below.

"OCD" starts during childhood or the teen years. Most people are diagnosed by about age 19. Symptoms of OCD may come and go and be better or worse at different times.

I'm sorry but the only think you need is a good psychiatrist. You are being rude to all the CALS/PALS on here. Just rub it in over all the physical stuff you can do and then whine about possibly having ALS. You don't belong here on this forum because you said yourself you are a hypochondriac and have anxiety. Don't google any of your symptoms and just go to your own doctor. We can't help you. You don't have ALS. Please leave and enjoy your life. Kim

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back