Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
North Carolina
City
Huntersville
First of I'd like to mention that I'm a 19 year old (almost 20) female. I know it is extremely rare for ALS to affect someone my age, but I'm concerned. Since last summer (about 8 months give or take) I have had a constant twitch feeling in my left calf. I can't see this like you would a typical twitch. The feeling is hard to describe. Almost like there is one spot that is constantly firing off and wont relax, like a constant,rhythmic tapping sensation. This feeling has been constant and sometimes its worse than others. It keeps me up at night and I'm constantly jiggling my leg to try and stop the feeling. The only time I don't notice it at all is in the morning before I get out of bed. There's no pain or cramping with it. I don't know if anyone has any input, but what would be causing this sensation besides some kind of muscle twitch? This doesn't happen in my other calf or anywhere else which worries me. I mentioned this to my doctor and she just said it could be a deficiency, but all my bloodwork came back perfect. She also did a quick neurological exam (testing reflexes, balance, etc.) and said nothing was wrong. I haven't actively notice any weakness is this calf (though sometimes I think I do if I start to obsessively compare each leg), but if I flex both of my calves you can see that the right one (without this twitch sensation) is more defined. I never compared before so I do not know if it's always been that way. Also, in July I noticed that when I put my hands out palm up, both of my ring fingers shake back and forth quickly like they are weak, but I have no weakness or clumsiness is my hands. I'm worried about ALS because I'm convinced I have both upper and lower symptoms since I have a "fear" of swallowing that comes and goes (which I assume is probably an anxiety issues since it gets worse the more I think about it. I can drink fine and swallow but it's like if I'm chewing meat or something larger and harder, I'm scared to push it to the back of my throat in fear that my body has forgotten how to swallow and that I will choke, so I will chew it for a very long time until it's basically a liquid. Is this considered "difficulty swallowing"?) I deal with a lot of anxiety and would considers myself a slight hypochondriac, but I am genuinely concerned. I have muscle twitches all over, but not that often (like a random twitch in a random spot once a day). My tongue has even twitched a few times. I'm not too worried about the random twitches since I know that can be a result of too much anxiety. I also have a LOT of eye floaters, though I'm not sure that's even related to anything ALS. I'm just mostly concerned about this sensation in my calf. I don't know how to explain it to a doctor and if they would even know where to go with this. I'm almost too scared to go in fear of what they'll say..

Print your post and bring it to your GP. You have succinctly enumerated your symptoms - see what he/she says. Trust the answer you are given.

I support Ottawa Girl's suggestion. In the meantime, the chances of you having ALS at your age, with no clinical weakness, or even perceived weakness, seems extremely unlikely. But see a doctor... and accept their diagnosis.

What you are experiencing is anxiety even though I am not a doctor. Being on this forum will only make it way worse for you. Please bring your post as suggested to your GP as suggested. He will find out what is going on with you. Take care, Kim

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back