07/2015
Country
US
State
usa
City
dixie
I am very worried about my husband. Hx:
He has had an unintentional weight loss of 40 pounds since the summer. Sadly most of this has been skeletal muscle loss. Really all over and pretty symmetrical, but the left arm is worse than right. He has been screened for various cancers (endoscopy, colonoscopy, abdominal CT) all were clean. His GI referred him to a hematologist for autoimmune testing. The appointment isn't for a few more weeks. He has started having tremors and what I believe to be fasiculations. His GP is working on getting him a neurology referral. Hubs hasn't worked in 2 months due to drastic weakness. He has always been a "macho" guy so this is definitely not the norm for him. He is mid 40s and we are so ready for some answers! I have 2 questions-
1. No matter the cause of the atrophy - wouldn't there be fasiculations where muscle is in the process of wasting? Or are fasiculations typically only associated with ALS

2 Any insight to any other possibilities besides ALS? (Obviously I have visited Dr Google since I found this forum .)

I know this is a very tough time for you. There isn't always fasciculations where muscle is wasting. My husband only had fasciculations in his upper body, none in legs that started to waste first. Has your husband had his testosterone levels tested? Some men have a drastic drop in testosterone in their mid 40's and without that they lose muscle.
Paulette

I am sorry to hear this is happening.. you could talk to his Dr. and have a peg tube put in. even if he is able to eat, it can be used to supplements.
My husband was wasting away looking scary skinny and the Dietitian at the VA put him on Jevity...we also use it for meds. He gets 3 cans a day...1 1/2 morn. and same at night...he gained back 35 lbs in 2 months. Jevity has higher nutrition value than Ensure.
Hope this helps.. chin up! I am here for you!

Get in with the Neuro, and hopefully they can help you figure out what is going on with him. in the mean time, high fatty foods, lots of cream and real butter and gravies. have him drink ensure or boost to add calories.

Aside from what Barbie said Lean Protein is also very good

Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back