Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
CA
State
ontario
City
ontario
hi everyone im new here but have been reading for a while . I am 48 year old male .it started about a year ago noticed my calves slightly twitching and noticed some pains here and there throughout my body.the worrisome part was my twitching began to really get bad in my calves and I was having these episodes in my sleep. I had been diagnosed with mild osa a couple years back but they told me if I lost 10 pounds I would be ok.time went on and I just didn't feel good my doctor did a lot of testing from head to toe you name it ive pretty much had al the tests.nothing showed up out of the ordinary.only a few things a 48 year old male could have.i kept having these sleep apneas or spells that seemed quite weird to the point when I would dose off I would sort of snore or grunt very loudly and went back to the sleep clinic where they said my apnea is now severe 40 stoppages per minute found that very odd with no weight increase.i had a few trips to emerge trying to explain to them my throat was collapsing when I fell asleep.they said I had a anxiety or panic disorder every time.i have gotten a cpap machine which helps but I even have issues with these weird sleep disorders usually on wake up.if I take a sleeping pill to induce a deeper sleep I seem to be ok.I have a feeling of weakness in my left hand and left foot and left foot has some pain. I have a feeling of a different swallow but have not choked on any food .it feels like my plegm is stuck in the back of my throat and my neck muscles seem fatigued.I have had mri brain and spine clean and a clean emg on left leg right leg and left arm did not do throat.ear nose and throat said I had acid reflux and I see sleep doctor tomorrow and sleep neuro Thursday .I will post updated results from them. any comments would be appretiated thanks

sorry that should be sleep apnea 40 stoppage /hour

Hello,
If you have apnea, you should be be using a bipap machine at night.
If you are not using bipap AND taking a sleeping aid with apnea, that's not good.
Lots of wierd stuff can happen when you combine anxiety and poor sleep, many of which you mentioned.
It doesn't sound like ALS,but don't screw around with sleep apnea, I had a buddy die from it in his late 30's because he wouldn't use a bipap mask at night.
Cheers,
Casey

thanks for reply . I have been using a cpap for about a month.

I went to my sleep doctor the other day and told him I was not feeling good .he told me that hes very surprised and my graphs from my cpap machine were excellent .I was totally caught off guard for that I must say. Today I finally saw a neurologist he did a neuro exam and and ordered a bunch of blood work a lot of blood work that I have not had. I talked to him about my sleeping problems and my swallowing and neck muscle fatigue.as well as a few other issues. it not so many words he said I should maybe look into seeking help for mental health.I told him that maybe I should and that I wish I knew what was happening. I am starting to wonder if the anxiety can actually be doing this to me . he said unless I present with something more there is not much else he can do. s everything anxiety when they don't know what is wrong? . I don't know. Im still praying a lot for myself and others

I just wanted to update everybody where im at with things and I have a question.
Yesterday I visited my 2nd neuro in a different city.She did an actual 1 hour clinical exam.when everything was said and done she seem to believe that I possibly have PD but no diagnosis .she called it parkinsonism. And said she totally disagreed with first neuro opinion.however she does agree that I have some depression and anxiety issues which I do not deny. I am having a lot of problems with swallowing right now but not choking.Eating more carefully food does not go down properly but I seem to be ok with drinks.I asked her about bulbar onset and als 3 times .She said absolutely 100% not als.that she has had many patients and that I do not present like them.Why do I still think that I do .I read on here to trust my neuro and doctors but I still am scared. My wife said quit thinking about it . I am having trouble with constipation and a bloating feeling above my stomach I am starting to wonder about asclasia is this common in als .Is this something of its own disease I am scheduled for a barium swallow Tuesday next week .

?... She said absolutely 100% not als.that she has had many patients and that I do not present like them.Why do I still think that I do .I read on here to trust my neuro and doctors but I still am scared. My wife said quit thinking about it .

You have a very smart wife. Not to mention a thorough neuro. At this point, i would urge you to get off the internet and take that smart wife of yours out for a nice dinner. Worrying is only going to alienate those closest to you and in the end, will not change final outcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back