Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
IL
City
Sugar Grove
Hi everyone! My name is Alex and I'm 21 years old. I currently have some questions regarding some symptoms I've been experiencing for the past six months that have never occurred before. Back in June of 2013, I was taking a shower and as I was about to get out, I instantly felt neck pain and I could barely twist or move my neck that night. The pain went away after about a week and now there's only stiffness. But about a month later after the incident, I began to get muscle twitches all throughout my body. The twitching didn't start in one specific area, rather it was sporadic and happens in my arms, legs and even my neck. Up until about a month ago, the twitches were my only symptom until I started noticing some dysphagia (trouble swallowing) and numbness/tingling. I went to the ER for the swallowing and the doc said it was GERD. I've been taking prilosec for the swallowing and it's better, but it still has me nervous. As of right now, my symptoms are the twitching( since July/August of 2013) and tingling or a pins and needles sensation and some cramping in my arms and legs, especially the right calf as well. I've had an MRI for the brain and spine which came back completely normal, but cannot afford a deductible for an emg right now and I'm very anxious that it could be something serious. Can als cause these symptoms after a certain amount of time? Maybe it could be something else but I'm not sure what's causing my symptoms. Should also note that I haven't had any weakness or anything like that but I'm hoping that the symptoms I have now aren't an onset to anything serious in the future. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again!

Alex

I doubt you have a fatal disease. Are you dehydrated? Stressed? Working out too much? Short on magnesium?

Could be anything - or nothing. If you haven't been referred to a neuro - you may be jumping the gun thinking you need an EMG don't ya think? If symptoms persist and bother you, go back to your GP. If I were you, I'd Take ALS off the menu.

Elaine, thanks for your input! I have actually been refereed to a neuro, but the only tests I've had done are blood work and the MRI not the EMG/NCV which in my opinion is a major part of the process in determining if you have something serious. I guess I have had a lot of anxiety over the issue for the past few months with all the twitching and the tingling pins and needles sensations and cramping. I just searched for muscle twitching online and bam a website for als came up and there began the anxiety. I guess my main question is if after twitching for over six months and still no weakness could it be als? Maybe it's some form of neuropathy? Who knows... But thanks again for the input! Much appreciated.

best thing you can do now is wait patiently for the neuro appointment you have and stop searching on the internet, it will increase the twitching, guaranteed

all the best

Thanks, Tillie. Will definitely not search the internet as much as I think it's causing me a lot of anxiety. Thanks for the input :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back