Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
arkansas
City
little rock
The members here have been very helpful to me over the past 18 months or so, everyone has been very supportive. Several of you asked me to drop in again after my wife delivered and let you know how things are going. Well I am about 7 weeks late on that but, well we have been busy. In late Nov my wife gave birth to a beautiful 10lb baby boy. I may post a picture at some point if I can figure out how to get them off that darn phone. So thats the good news.

The bad news is that I am at it again, after several months of doing very well dealing with my anxiety particularly in this area I have had a relapse of sorts. I am twitching all over again, though mostly below the waist with the few odd around my jaw or in my hands or sides. I also have those odd deep achy pains from time to time, but mostly they are focused in my feet and elbows.

I have been doing ok and dealing with it for the past few weeks but this week I have been rather sick with strep throat and last night I didn't sleep untill 6 am and woke at about 9 am. I went to the bookstore today and squatted down several times to look at things on lower shelves, I also sat cross legged on the floor and got back up a few times. After this I had a short bought of large twitches around my left knee and then several times as I was walking that knee buckled. It also felt kinda weak to walk on. When I got home I sat on the couch and lifted than leg straight in front of me and timed with a stop watch and the knee was trembling by 6 seconds in, though I made it 20 seconds with out it dropping before I realized how stupid I looked and stopped that nonsense.

I am quite worried about that bucking of my knee, it has done it twice more this evening. I have also been having a lot of lower back pain and pain around both my knees and legs in general for around a week now. I am afraid that this could be a bad sign. Monday I am going to my GP for a referral to a well respected local neurologist. I just now have managed to get decent insurance.

So I suppose my question is does any of this sound troubling to you fine folks? I have had both my knees randomly buckled like that before, in fact they do it ever so often and have for years, my mother does the same thing, its just for some reason this time I am afraid it feels different but I don't know how objective I can be given my anxieties.

Are you worried you may have ALS... again?

Well yes in that I am again concerned about it, I was for a long time and then got over that particular fear. Now I am afraid of it again. Sorry if my OP wasn't clear I was typing in a hurry.

congratulations on the birth!

Sounds like you need to wait out what your GP says and take it from there.

ALS doesn't care whether you are worried about it or not, people with the most positive attitude of beating it progress however the disease chooses anyway. If your symptoms are worse because you are worrying again, I would suggest there is the clue to your problems.

All the best with your doctor.

If it helps any I've had those symptoms for 5 years..
The knees buckling once in awhile...The constant ache in the elbows...The twitching when you use your muscles....I'm starting to believe it's all anxiety. ...I still wonder myself if it's going to turn into anything but as each year goes by its a little less stressful. ..I'm not one to give advice but if I was a betting guy I would say it's all anxiety and you will be fine.....been there and definitely done it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back