Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
Ct
City
Ridgefield
About 6 weeks ago i started with body wide fasciculations, mostly in my legs. I have also had muscle soreness on the left side of my body and some on and off numbness in my left fingers. Saw a neurologist and he said i don't have als, however he wanted to do a follow up EMG/NCS and bloodwork.

Just had the EMG/NCS today and both came back normal, however my CK level is "slightly" elevated. When i asked the neuro again about ALS, he said it is possible, however all signs are pointing to it not being ALS. Next course of action is to retake the blood tests in 8 weeks.

Fasciculations and muscle soreness are still on going.

Question - should i be concerned? If not, what else could this be?

Do you realise that we are not doctors?

Keep working with your doctors to find out what it is, keep your mind open. You should be happy with those first results.

We aren't going to be able to diagnose you here on a web site.

I hope all works out for you as you work with your health care team.

Listen to your doctors it's not ALS. Weakness not muscle soreness. There are about 45 different things it could be. I doubt sincerely of ALS is one of them. Elevated CPK's can come from a heavy work out, a long run, or anything that creates micro tears in the muscles. Slight elevation is of no concern. When I was diagnosed mine was five times normal. And even that can be caused by different things. Listen to your doctors and not Dr. Google

Just to be clear - the muscle "soreness" has been present for 4 or 5 weeks and consists primarily of tight groin and tight rib cage both on the left side. Typically i would not be concerned with these symptoms if they hadn't been persistent for so many weeks and also accompanied by the fasciculations and numbness.

I am not looking for a diagnosis, just some thoughts from others who may have shared the same symptoms. Thanks to those that replied.

Also cpk was 466, with a normal range of 24 to 204.

You need to take your concerns to a doctor.
Sorry it doesn't match ALS and this forum is for that disease.

I hope you get some answers.

Just a suggestion... tight groin and other symptoms dedicated to the left side sounds to me like a disc problem. You may need to check with an Ortho Doc. Years ago I ruptured a disc in the thoracic section of my spine and had a "pulling sensation" in my groin. A ruptured disc in your neck can do the same. You should have a good Ortho Doc see you before you worry about any MND.

It seems to me that when people research things on the internet, they can come up with the scariest of diseases. See your doctor, then God forbid, if you are diagnosed with ALS, please come back and find support here.

Mary

It seems that everyone in the Do I Have ALS area thinks they have 1 symptom and they jump to the conclusion that they have ALS.
Try to remember: ALS is a diagnosis of EXCLUSION. There is no test yet to determine if you have ALS, so your neuro has to eliminate EVERYTHING else that has similar symptoms. I probably had twenty blood tests to rule out hormone and vitamin disorders, cancers, infectious diseases, myopathies, MMN and other nerve disorders. Then you have to eliminate disc and spinal canal problems with MRIs. Then there are NCSs and EMGs, and after the months that span these tests, your neuro may be down to 2, 3 or 4... but maybe he will still have more. It is a long, tedious process. It's not like going to a dermatologist and having him diagnose a rash.
ALS is a diagnosis of exclusion. If you haven't had the above tests to eliminate all the much more likely problems, then, IMHO, you have no business thinking it's ALS.
Relax. Trust your doctors.

I honestly feel your pain I dont have ALS either but am terrifiedddddddddddddddddddddd ive had the falcitations for a month now, left arms and leg hurting...they feel like they're weak but 4 pcp's and 2 neuroligists said they arent. I have a nerve test coming up on the 6th. I have asked all my doctors about ALS they said no no no. I wont be satisfied till the answers come back from the nerve test though. ALS is something that people find out about through google and it sticks in your head. I did get diagnosed with fibo 2 weeks ago, and my neuro thinks i have carpel tunnel in my arms. soooooooo ask your doctor about fibo, anxiety and BFS =)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back