Learn about ALS
Country
CA
State
Quebec
City
MONTREAL
Hi,
My name is Max and I have been very concerned recently about ALS. I’ve been reading these forums a lot, which has furthered my understanding of the disease, as well as greatly increased my sympathy for those who have it and my empathy for those who think they have it. If possible, I would be extremely humbled and appreciative if you gus could provide me some insight as to what I may (or may not) have.
About two years ago, I had weakness in my leg and started getting twitches in my body. I had an MRI done to rule out MS. The MRI was clean and all my blood work has been normal. The weakness in my leg subsided moderately, and over the past 2 years not much has changed (the twitching has stayed with slight weakness in my legs). This is what scares me:
For over a year - I have twitches in both my eyelids.
1 month ago - I had some trouble typing and using a mouse (mostly with the mouse as my finger with sometimes twitch/click unintentionally.
This month - my right hand tremors and both my legs feel weak, especially my right leg
This past week - I have a lumpy/tight feeling in my throat
This past week – I’ve had trouble sleeping due to hypnic jerk

I can still walk and type, but my legs feel materially weaker and my right hand has a noticeable tremor/shake, even though I can still type.
I am 23 years-old, which I know is young and rare for ALS, but it is already rare for people my age to have all of these symptoms, so I wonder what the statistics say about how many 23-year old having leg and hand weakness and having a clean MRI are likely to have ALS.

Anyway, if someone could give me some advice or ideas, it would really help. I’ve been crying all weekend because I’ve never been used to having a hand tremor or very weak legs before.
Thank you all, and God bless.

Hi Max
Since you asked so nicely......

As you say ALS is HIGHLY unlikely at your age. If you had started ALS 2 years ago there would have been no improvement as you saw originally and by now would be unmistakeable. You are describing perceived weakness rather than clinical. Re-read the stickies if you do not understand what I mean. Twitching is very common especially eyelids.
Tremor is not a sign of ALS. Look up benign essential tremor. It is annoying but nothing more. And stress and fatigue make it much worse!

The throat thing does not sound like ALS either.

Please check in with your primary care and try to relax

Best
Nikki

Last edited:
Thanks.

Is it common to have tremor/finger spasms in only one hand? It's harder for me to use a mouse these days than it was even just 3 months ago because my hand shakes a bit and my finger will sporadically click sometimes.

Benign essential tremor can absolutely start in one hand. Spasm is not part of it.

See your pcp for an evaluation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back