Reason
Other
Country
US
State
Washington D.C.
City
Washington D.C.
Hello, I am new to the forum because I am a little worried because things have not been properly explained to me and because of that, I still have fears. I am a 27 year old male and my story begins this past September:

In about mid-September, I began to notice soreness in BOTH of my calves. It was generally in the morning and eventually went away as the day progressed. Quite frankly, it was not the least of my worries because I was having serious GI issues that were going undiagnosed; I just assumed that it was somehow related to that.

However, as time progressed, it became apparent that the cramping was not going away. I told my doctor this. Eventually, in November, celiac was the main problem. The basis for this diagnosis was that my "blood work was similar to that of a celiac." I didn't have the celiac blood test; it was a measurement of my vitamins from what I was told. That was it. I wasn't told exactly how it was similar, only that it was similar.

Most of the GI issues have cleared, however, I stilled had soreness and noticed twitching for the first time. I assume the twitching was there since September, but as they are light, I never looked for them. I was referred to a neurologist.

I had my first physical examination in the beginning of December. I did all the test walked on my tip-toes and heels. Had the reflexes tested and strength tested. I did all of them. I was then set up to take the EMG.

I took the EMG and there was irregularity. However, the doctor said that there was "nothing scary." I am to have a follow-up and a second EMG in a few months. But, he never explained to me the results. In fact, he sort of just left me in the room and dealt with a call. A nurse swept me away and I had no idea what to make of a serious exam.

Right now, I still have the fasciculations and soreness at times. Additionally, I have noticed this week that my right tricep has begun to tremor and fasciculate itself. When I flex, the entire arm will pulsate and one of the heads fasciculate crazily. The tricep is NOT sore and I don't feel weakness. But it has reignited my fears because it has spread.

However, I do have good days. There are days where I don't notice soreness for hours on end. I believe the twitching is still there. Most of the time, the soreness goes back and forth between my right and left calf. I've also been measuring my calves daily; I haven't noticed any decomp. My calves have stayed at 15.5 inches for a month now. I am also able to go to the gym; I did squats the other day and ride a bike for 5 miles a week. I also do house work

In summation: I have been having this issue for about 5 months. I did have a abnormal EMG, but "nothing scary." I just want to know what this all means because I have not had any explanation as to any diagnosis and my doctors won't discuss the results with me over the phone. Could somebody give an idea as to what this all means?

Thank you all. And, I understand the effort a lot of you make. I'm simply scared and confused.

Please help me understand

Hello again, I posted this thread yesterday evening (https://www.alsforums.com/forum/do-i-have-als-als/24577-understanding-emg.html) and I did not get any responses.

Very simply, and I will not go into great detail again, I have gone to a neurologist, done the physical exams with no issue and had an EMG. my EMG was not normal, but the doctor said that it was "nothing scary." He did not explain anything beyond this because he was taken away by a nurse and I was shown the door. Before I left, I was told that a second EMG should be taken if there was progression.

This week I have noticed oddities. Instead of the twitching being solely located in my calves, I now have a twitch in my right tricep. In fact, if I flex, the entire arm tremors. Additionally, I have noticed finger cramps.

The twitching has been going on for some time now, 5 months and began in both calves. I would like to understand what an EMG reading mean because I know nothing of what my reading meant. And, I've become scared because it seems to have progressed.

Could somebody please help me understand things better, because right now, I have no idea what this all means and my follow-up isn't for sometime.

Re: Please help me understand

Ask for a copy of your EMG, and if you are not content with your doctors answers, take your EMG and lab results elsewhere and ask for a second opinion.

An EMG that is suggesting MND should have ongoing deinnervation and reinnervation. Even if this is present, it could be something else then ALS, ALS is very rare. And your doctor would not have said that he would hold off further testing if these signs were present.

I am myself in the process of getting a diagnosis, and it is very easy to jump to conclusions. I have however along this road learned, that the doctors are better suited than me to do so.

Try to relax.

Without you actually having an EMG report, we obviously can't know anything more specific about it than you do. I'd trust the doctor on "not scary", though. EMG's pick up a range of electrical quirks in the wiring of your body, and most of them are just that. (Imagine if you did a thorough electrical study of your house!) It seems likely that the EMG probably picked up some of your fasciculations, for instance. They would be worried if something worrying had shown up.

Thank you for your responses. As you've probably realized, I'm am nervous at this moment in time, by not having things explained to me. But, thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back