Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
south carolina
City
charleston
I am a 20 year old african american college student. Throught this semester, I participated in marching band, with no real complaints other than a few moments of debilitating knee pain. However, it's been about a month since marching band concluded for the year. About 2 weeks ago, after a bout of stomach flu, I started experiencing all over twitching, which has now persisted and is coupled wiith an off feeling in myleft leg and tightness in the thigh muscles. I've been trying to just get around and ignore this, as I've been able to do the same things with my hands and several stretches/stand on heels and toes with feet and. my loved ones saythey see no issue in my condition, but the tightness and ongoing twitches has me concerned. I am also experiencing a lack of hunger/thirst, which might be anxiety because of the level of stress I've felt about this. Should I schedule a visit with a neurologist soon, or wait it out until I either getbetter or experience my first fall? Also my legs tend to fall asleep when I sit on hard surfaces for too long.

I would go to your regular dr first. No need to see a neuro unless it is recommended by your dr first. It could be a virus or vitamin deficiency, so don't dive off the deep end just yet. Relax, breath and eat for heavens sake, that could be part of the problem too. No fuel for the body to function properly can cause problems too.

I went to the er a few days after the twitching started, was only told I had vertigo and dehydration, and given a reference to an ent, no neurologist recommendation despite my pleas

You have a wise GP. See the ENT as directed. You do not have a fatal disease. Soending time on this site, will only increase your symptoms. Strange, but true.

I have not seen my gp, only went to my regular doctor in september for some digestive issues, balance issues and fatigue. All my blood work came back fine then too except some dehydration and slightly elevated cholestorol. So over the past two months I've gotten nothing but blood test done and an iv once for dehydration, but my thigh and calves and still twitching.

Then go see your gp. Explain what is going on. Dehydration can and poor diet can cause the problems you are talking about complicating it with anxiety or it could be a virus, you won't know unless you go to the dr.

Dehydration ( even if you don't feel thirsty) causes twitching and sore muscles too. As do lack of magnesium & calcium. And anxiety.

Go back to your GP. The chances of you having ALS are equal to me joining your marching band and playing the tuba.

I had a chance to go to an urgent care center, which has severeal machines to t look for things involving MRIs and CT scans, but I decided to wait a few days. My biggest fear is losing my muscles to this as I am still young and have panic attacks over this

Go to your gp. The dr is trained, educated and experienced to make the decisions as what needs to be done. You are letting your fear take over. This will cause things to become worse.

Do my symptoms sounds like the disease to you? I just did about 20 push ups, no problems and went jogging today, but right after some exercises I experience increased spasms/twitching in the legs.

We are not drs and are not able to answer that question. But a guess would be no. There are several things against you, you are too young, you have no clinical weakness and in most cases twitching is not one of the first sym ptoms. Everyone twitches, yours are worse because you are paying too much attention to them and worrying.

what would clinical weakness be defined as? The only things I've noticed is intermidiate twitching in my left hand/leg and right leg, and also my triceps get tired quickly, been like that for years though.

You need to read the stickies in this thread or research clinical weakness. I feel that I am feeding your fear and that is not my intent. You are trying to convince yourself you have this disease. Go to your dr, I wish you peace.

Your concerns are sincere. You are getting good advice here. Make an appointment to see a General Practitioner first. Until then... be patient and relax. Your chances at this point in your life are slim, very slim but worth checking it out with a GP. Patience is a powerful relaxer. Work on it. Have a warm and enjoyable Holiday Season.

Last edited:
One more thing before an update from the doctor's office tomorrow: I shoke my brothers hand earlier today, and my fingers on both hands were slow to regain control back over, and even twitched for a few seconds before relaxing.is that a umd sign?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back