Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
Ire
State
munster
City
cork
Hi I am new here. My symptoms started back in october and have progressed very quickly. Started in October with twitching in left hand. Then tingling in same hand. Twitches then moved to left leg. Then started to have leg spasms in bed where my leg would kick out. Then one day my left hand got very weak in cold weather. I ended up in ANE that day. The did a CT scan but found nothing. Went to see a nuerologist a few days later and he said i was fine after examination said i could have silent migraines. Then went for MRI and they found white spots on MRI. Kept me in hospital and did lumbar puncture to rule out MS. No MS. Then a couple of weeks after started having trouble swallowing and voice was a little weird. Went to GP and he told me it was a neuroloigical problem and back to ANE. Doctor told me there nothing wrong and sent me home. Went to different GP for second opinion and he told me i had anxiety disorder. Now my symptoms have progressed to weakness in hands and cramping. Cramping also in left foot. Dents in my hands aruond thumb muscle on both hands. My forehead muscles have also weakened. Have a question Could i get bulbar and limb onset that quickly?

Red,

I have not heard of onset that quickly. Most PALS have symptoms for several months before even seeing physicians. It usually starts in one place - ie one limb or the bulbar.

Were you not explained the MRI results - what are the spots? Are you scheduled for a follow up with neuro? Weakness in hands may be perceived. In my case one weak hand - I couldn't hold a coffee cup, couldn't do up buttons etc. Your neuro would have picked up clinical weakness upon examination. Cramps can be due to dehydration, vitamin deficiency or other factors.

Do you think you have anxiety?

Hi Elaine thanks for reply. They said that the white spots on MRI were unspecific. I am on anxiety tablets. The thinning in my hands seem to happen over night. I am due for follow up on 19th of this month. Will tell him my new symptoms. Does it sound like the start of ALS to you?

No it doesn't sound like ALS.

Unless your hands are in a cast - they don 't thin that quickly. In fact, first there is weakness ( for months) and then comes atrophy which becomes apparent over time - not in a week. Not both hands either. ( generally)

I think you're nervousness is getting the best of you. Let your doctors figure it out and try not to obsess and study your hands so much. Breathe! Enjoy Christmas.

Hi Elaine my symptoms seem to be getting worse. The right side of my face seems to be getting weaker i have extra wrinkles under my eye and the skin over my eye seems to be hanging over my eyelid. Could this be bulbar onset? My tongue is also twitching. Did you ever hear of ALS progressing this quickly. It been nearly three months so far since all this started.

Red,

I have not heard of onset that quickly. Most PALS have symptoms for several months before even seeing physicians. It usually starts in one place - ie one limb or the bulbar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back