Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
Florida
City
Orlando
I have been trolling these forums for a couple days reading what everyone has been posting. I have to say that the people who respond are god sends to those who might just need to have anxiety managed while they wait for neurologist appts and figure out what is going on with them. I usually feel less anxious while reading, but I feel like my issues are getting worse and I have a follow up with neurologist next week. That apt cant come soon enough. A little about myself, I am a 33yr old male, don't really exercise ever and don't have the best diet in the world, but not really overweight either.

I originally went to GP because my legs seemed to fall asleep easily and seemed to get tired easily. This was about 1.5 months ago. He did a B12 and it came back fine. I went to an initial Neuro apt where he went through the standard motor/resistance tests. (all fine) He ordered Thyroid / Magnesium tests. I am waiting on those results. With that said, my legs/arms have gotten worse. I am able to open things. I often find myself standing on my toes or doing a small heel walk every hour or so to help my anxiety over the situation. My legs are sore all day long and get tired / feel like they are going to give out on me at any time. My arms are the same way. I carry grocery bags and my arms get tired very quickly. I went for a 1.5 hour walk and my legs were so tired and the next day I was exhausted. Best way I can describe it... it's as if I have been working out even when I have done nothing but sit or stand at my desk all day.

Past the fatigue in my muscles, I have been having twitches all over. Primarily in different areas of my calves, but occasionally in different parts of my arms as well. I feel like I twitch more when I sit down. A couple weeks ago, my left lower eyelid would randomly spasm a couple times a day for like a week. That has since subsided (for the most part), but these twitches coupled with the overall tiredness and soreness in my legs has my anxiety on overload.

I know a lot of you see threads like this, and any input is always appreciated. Very appreciative that there is a forum for people to discuss things like this.

Anxiety is indeed getting to you - glad you recognize that. Why jump to the conclusion that you have a fatal disease?

You might have one of any number of things - or nothing. Try to focus on other matters in your life as you await test results. I know it's not easy, but it's not impossible either; the more you fret, self test and obsess, the more your 'symptoms' will increase. Walking on your heels, hourly, is a sure way of getting sore calf muscles and tired legs.

Speak to your GP about your anxiety before it wreaks havoc on your body.

I am not a dr but by guessing I would look into fibromyalgia or myasthenia gravis, both involve "exercise intolerance" and fits what you are describing. everyone twitches and the more you focus on it the worse it will get. I know it is hard to not think about it, but see if you can find some thing to distract your self until you see the neuro.

Stop the self testing, it will get you nowhere and will feed the anxiety. Let the drs do the testing and decision making, they are trained, educated and experienced in knowing what is what. Listen to what they tell and have an open mind. I hope you get it figured out soon.

OPINION ONLY, when you are no longer able to do something today that you could do yesterday and that ability never returns, like turning ignition key in car, opening a jar, not able to pick up full cup of coffee then get concerned. there is perceived weakness throughout a lifetime, even measured strength can go up or down daily as much as 20%. please give up on dr google

In the mean time, take this chance to change the things that you can, like improve your diet and begin a moderate, paced exercise program that you can stick with the rest of your life (which will probably be very long and happy if you don't let anxiety ruin it).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back