Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
Ca
City
San Francisco
So first, I am sorry if my posting bothers anyone, but I have some questions and hoping some here may be able to help.

I have had progressive symptoms in this order:
-right hand feeling uncoordinated and tremoring after exertion. Fingers feeling tight in muscles and hand wanting to stay closed.
-left hand begins feeling uncoordinated
-twitching in various body parts including tongue and feet. Once it starts in a place it doesn't really stop, but it is all over and may come and go (not 24/7)
-right hand (first part effected) shaking and jerking when falling asleep.

All of that I was fine with until:
-right arm started getting sore and exhausted with basic movements like opening an orange, lifting a book while reading, typing, etc.
-then the same thing started on the left
-then jaw started feeling sore just keeping it closed. It is exhausted by the end of the day.
-then back muscles started feeling sore and exhausted doing basic tasks.
-this morning I had the same issues with my neck just moving it around. Pain in muscles and sore.
-cramping in hands upon fine motor movements

These latest symptoms developed and spread quickly (the last 2 weeks). I also become very shaky after the muscles become sore. I am very athletic and healthy so this is concerning to me. I can also power through and perform tasks still but it feels so much more difficult than it should and only in the effected areas (aka legs are fine).

My questions:
-does als present as extreme muscle exhaustion and pain during usually easy activity?
-does it usually progress to different body parts this quickly?
-do you believe this could be something else or does it sound classic?

I passed all clinical weakness tests, but everyday it seems some new body part is effected and it doesn't go away. I have a neuro apt on Tuesday, but hoping for some comments before then.

I'm so sorry again if this bothers anyone. If neuro apt is fine I swear I will not bother anyone on here anymore. You all are in my thoughts.

Have you seen your GP yet about your symptoms? We're not doctors.

I have and I have a neuro apt. I just wanted to know if anyone could shed light on those three questions for me. I understand you are not dr.'s and I'm so sorry if it seems I am wasting your time.

I guess I should also add that I had blood work done- vitamins, blood count, thyroid, autoimmune- all normal

Ms Pie glad to see you on!

Weakness not a feeling of tiredness. I started with the inability to open water bottles and still teaching 7 exercise classes aweek. I kknow this is stressful, but this is a relatively rare disorder so wait for the neurologist.

Thank you for your reply! So muscle soreness and shakiness upon basic tasks does not equal weakness? I guess that's thee clarification I'm looking for.

What you describe sounds to me like MG or muscles inflammation. You MUST see a doctor asap. Don't jump into a wrong conclusion like having ALS. In fact try how much you can to avoid" the internet doctor" and get quickly an appointment.All information get from internet will increase your anxiety till the point where you'll be confused without be able to describe your real symptoms. Believe me, i'm in the same situation for more than 3 months and i became addicted to internet (especially websites describing ALS).Looking back i realize that I threw away that time which could be precious for me.Please listen to my advice....I didn't do it when the wonderful people from this forum told me to stay away of it till the doctors will give me a diagnostic.
Have a good day.
Marcia

Thank you so much for replying. I felt like I was having a hard time finding any other possible explanation for my symptoms because so little info is online. I really need to throw away google doctor. I had no idea about muscle inflammation diseases and to be honest, that sounds likely... I did have a positive ANA test several years ago, but the doctors said it meant nothing until I became symptomatic with something (only 5% of positive ANA tests never reveal themselves as a condition so it's kind of a matter of time). ANA tests I've just read are linked to muscle inflammatory diseases. Looks plausible to me.

Anyway, I realize people on here are right... I can't diagnose myself. Quite possible I am still way off. I need to just be patient and go through with what my doctors say without leading them down wild goose chases based off of internet "research". Seems difficult when you have a 4 year old with autism relying on you and you read that you could have something terminal.

I'm sorry again if I bothered anyone and I really respect the time you took to read and respond.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back