Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
Ohio
City
Groveport
Hi Everyone!

I am having an EMG/NCV on only one leg next week. I have had some concerning symptoms since this past July, i had begun experiencing a tremor like shake allover my body, including both legs, then allover twitching started up along with a sensation like my leg muscles were rolling around, my legs began feeling strange as if i would fall at anytime while walking and standing and still feel like this. My PC tried me on propranalol for the tremors which has seemed to work pretty well so far. I still have a constant buzzing, tingling sensations nearly 24/7 in my legs n feet. I have at times felt this same buzzing allover as well. I went to the er in september and an oncall neuro at the hospital came and did a complete clinical exam on me and said that my reflexes and etc looked pretty good, he wanted me to get set up to see one of their neuros for blood testing of vitamin levels to look for any deficiencies that are causing these strange symptoms, saw the second neuro this past week who did another clinical exam and read his notes, she said she felt that my symptoms are not due to any serious neuro diseases, she said she would do an EMG next week as a preliminary to see if anything is going on. The leg she is testing is my left which is smaller than my right and when i showed her my leg she said it really was not that much smaller but would do an emg upon my request request. My question is will this single leg EMG be enough to show if anything is going on or does everyone require an emg on all four limbs? BTW...she did not order any bloodwork which i was sure shed want to check for levels but said no.

This is from an article I read

ALS is a nerve PATHWAY disease so if you have twitching and weakness BECAUSE of ALS in something like your little toe, and you get an EMG ANYWHERE BETWEEN that toe and your brain, it WILL show-up on the EMG because it is looking at the PATHWAYS BETWEEN that toe and your brain. ALS is also a body wide disease BEFORE it spreads to NOTICABLE symptoms. It is there long before 99% of the sufferer's even notice it, (contrary to what a lot of rookies will tell you). The twitching in ALS means it has already been there a while, has DONE damage and now the muscles are reacting by quivering.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back