Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
CO
State
Bogota
City
Bogota
Hi everyone! I have been reading this forum since I started twitching a month and a half ago. I received my first EMG result last week, the very same day that I found out I was 6 weeks pregnant. The conclusions of the EMG result state that I have a chronic axonal mononeropathy of the left deep peroneal nerve probably caused by an old ankle sprain and that the results are negative for a motor neuron illness.

The more detailed results state (SORRY IF THERE ARE ERRORS IN THE TRANSLATION SINCE MY RESULTS WERE GIVEN TO ME IN SPANISH):

1. Neuroconduction study: prolonged distal latency of the muscle action potential composed of the left deep peroneal nerve with reduction of the amplitude.
2. Other action potentials with latencies, amplitudes and conduction velocities normal.
3. F wave of the bilateral ulnar and tibial with latency and cronodisperion normal.
4. The EMG showed motor units with neropathic characteristics with reduction of the recruitment in the left extensor digitorum brevis. All other muscles explored normal.

I have shown these results to my neurologist and he has assured me that this is a completely clean EMG with an incidental finding that has no relevance. However, I cant help to still be nervous and think that there was a mistake, that this can be an early stage ALS or that they misdiagnosed the findings.

I know you will probably say that I should trust my doctor and live my life. But I just can help feeling nervous and would really appreciate it if you could tell me if you have every seen results like mine in an ALS patient and if a chronic axonal mononeropathy of the left deep peroneal nerve is something easily confused with ALS or if it is something completely different and that I should completely relax. I just want to live a happy pregnancy and I think this would really help me.

Thank you and sorry for any bother!

Hey everyone, I would like to clarify that my neuro exam was perfect and that I do not have any signs of weakness or any other symptoms other than generalized twitching and buzzing feeling on my feet. I am 31 years old and am in good health.

I have been doing strength tests on my feet and can walk, jump and skip on my tip toes and walk on my heals.

Please any feed back would be soo greatly appreciated.

The EMG was done on all arms and legs, neck and jaw.

I see the word normal a lot in that report. Between that and your dr saying you have a clean emg I think you need to believe what your dr said and jump for joy. You should stop the self testing and searching on the net.

You have more important matters pressing, like growing and happy healthy baby. Congrats on that. This is the time to be excited and full of wonder about the tiny life you are carrying, waiting for the first fluttering, kick and moving. I wish you many happy memories and a easy pregnancy.

Your neuro says it's normal. And you are asking strangers and people who are non-trained if you have ALS? You need to get another professional opinion or let it go. Best advice you can get off the internet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back