Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
Alabama
City
Birmingham
Is there any chance this is ALS? Last Christmas, i had an episode of not being able to get words out/slurred speech. it lasted about 30 seconds and went away. 8 months later I had an episode of blind spots in my vision and nausea along with speech that was slurred when I would say certain words. I went to the ER and had a brain MRI, and echocardiogram, both which were negative. I was referred to a neurologist who diagnosed complex migraines after doing a basic neurological exam. Also he did an EEG which was negative. I was put on 10 mg Propranolol twice a day. Since that episode I've had foggy vision. Since beginning the Propranolol I have missed a dose and had tingling in both arms which went away. I was given a nerve conduction velocity test as the neurologist suspected carpal tunnel. The test was negative. My question is, does this sound like bulbar onset ALS? I am 23, and aware it's very rare for this to be ALS at my age. No family history of ALS. And the past few days my tongue feels dry on the bottom, and feels at times that my upper gums and top/sides of my tongue tingle for a few seconds. Also I feel that I am slurring my speech, but nobody else seems to notice.

I would look at simpler things like a vitamin deficiency or something before zeroing in on a fatal disease. Maybe a cervical spine problem. If no one is noticing slurring of speech then you are just probably thinking to hard on speaking. I know how strange that may sound but you know the old saying the harder you try sometimes the worse you do.

If you are truly worried all you can do is go back to the dr.. no one here can say yes or no with any certainty. I wish you peace.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back