Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
RI
City
Providence
Hi, so I'm 22 and have been experiencing widespread twitching (including tongue and facial twitching) for about 6 or 7 months now. Started with some twitches in my body then to my tongue then came back with a vengeance in my thighs face feet and thumbs. Experiencing a lot of other symptoms but don't feel like getting into it. What brings me to this forum is I'd like to know if anyone has experienced tongue episodes similar to mine. It started with a pulling type twitch on the right side of my tongue. I could make it twitch by flexing it, sometimes it would happen on its own, but recently that type of twitching has stopped completely. Even flexing it wont make the side twitch anymore. I've noticed something else. I've noticed fasciculations on the surface for the first time. They can be felt sometimes when I'm paying attention to it but usually I don't notice. I can only see them. I'm not sure how long they've been going on for but to describe them they're like little rapid indents on the sides and rapid little indents in the middle all at random but they are constant. Every time my tongue is at rest I can see them. This happens only when my tongue is at complete rest and when I stick it out. It sort of feels like a bubbling feeling. I can feel my tongue dip. It's weird. Difficult to describe. Also my tongue deviates to the right side pretty clearly. I've had serious swallowing problems since I was 11, so i'm using that as a reason to not link als with that but who knows. I haven't noticed any weakness honestly. I can move my tongue side to side up and down and stick it out. Would I be able to do this if it was truly atrophied? Even somewhat? My speech is thick but I haven't ever noticed a change. I think I've always talked that way. and I do slur but don't sound drunk. Voice has become hoarse but I also have been singing for about 3 years now. So i'm not sure what to make of this all. Went to a nuero when my symptoms first started in my tongue and there wasn't much body twitching. He did an EMG (but not of my tongue) and it was clean. Thinking I should maybe go back to get my tongue hands and feet tested. For those of you who have had a tongue emg was it painful? And does a clean EMG of the tongue mean no bulbar onset? Any feedback would be great. Trying not to worry. Just feels good to vent.

Back in The summer you asked the same question. A senior and knowledgeable member (Tokahfang) suggested you consult an ENT. You've had swallowing issues for 12 years?

What did ENT tell you?

Talk to your Neuro, let him know your worries... An EMG of the tongue doesn't hurt very badly, but it will give you the peace of mind you need. I suffer from this anxiety as well... And now every time anything happens to me my mind goes Back to als. But I've had a clean emg, and from what I understand ALS fasics aren't an early symptom and if you were twitching at the time of your first emg and it was a LMN sign related to ALS then it would have shown up in your EMG.
I know how frustrating it is to have benign fasciculation's, but you have to remember that although they are aggrivating they are benign. You should go look at the BFS forum... Many people in the BFS forum have tongue fasics. Listen to Ottawa girl and Tokafang, they are very smart. And trust that your dr is taking good care of you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back