Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
nc
City
winterville
I have posted this within another thread I started, but didn't get a great deal of feedback. 2 years ago I was diagnosed with ulnar nerve entrapment in my left elbow. I had surgery, and have started to see some improvement in my strength of the hand of the arm that I had surgery on. Before surgery it was clumsy and had noticeable atrophy. The muscle has come back some, but I have twitching when I use the hand. I also have twitching throughout my body, lately in my feet and inside my knees.

I wanted to know if this EMG leads anyone to think that ALS could be a possible cause?

The left anti sensory no response. The left ulnar motor increased latency, decreased amplitude and normal velocity. The left ulnar FDI motor, normal latency, decreased amplitude and normal velocity. The left door sum ulnar sensory, normal latency, decreased amplitude and normal velocity. The other ncv studies were normal.

F-wave late cues were done on median and ulnar which were normal, delayed.

EMG was performed in the upper left extremity. The interference pattern and motor unit action potential analysis is normal without evidence of denervation membrane hyper excitability except where indicated.

Conclusion:
Ulnar neuropathy at the elbow on the left side, which is moderate plus in degree electrically. Moderate chronic axonal loss is noted.

There is no evidence of a cervical radiculopathy, bracheal plexopathy, myopathy, poly neuropathy, or other mono neuropathy.

I am not a dr but if the dr who interpreted this emg saw als in it they would have said so. I am reading you have a elbow problem which is fixable. You should be happy, not worrying over something you don't have.

I never had an emg was supposed to but that's another story.
I have no idea but if no als was found listen to them. Vicki said it best!

I hate to come back on the forum and continue to ask the same questions. However, I have noticed pretty consistent twitching in the arches of my feet along with more recently subtle twitiching in my calf. I have tried to put the worry out of my mind, but when I see these things, it all comes back. I am worried sick.

Yes, you are worrying yourself sick. There was no indication on the results the dr stated. You may need to go back to the dr and simply ask flat out if that is what they think, if for nothing else to put your mind at ease. You may need some anxiety meds to help you relax and quell your fears.

Nervous,

We have replied to the best of our abilities to your previous and similar posts.

The only thing I can suggest (since you do not believe the two doctors who have assessed you thus far), is to see another doctor. Starting more threads here will not stop your worrying - only you can do that. I don't mean to sound harsh, but it's all I can suggest.

Vicki, I actually know both of the neurologists that I have seen pretty well. The one that I really trust said that he is 99% sure that it is not ALS. However, the further I get away from my last appointment with him, the more twitching I develop throughout my body. I could have had this twitching for years, but I have noticed it since I have become much more concerned about my twitching.

All the more reason to see a dr about some anxiety meds to help you get over this hump. The more you worry the more you will twitch. There is no shame in getting help, stress and anxiety can kill and it is a real medical problem.

What do you want us to say?

Options:

1) You have ALS
2) You don't have ALS

Ask your doctor or find another neruologist who specializes in MND. They will be able to tell you what we CAN'T tell you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back