Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
CA
City
Los Angeles
Hello, first off my heart goes out to anyone suffering from this disease and I really appreciate you taking the time to help the rest of us. I'm a 31 yo male, relatively fit, and recently I began having some strange hand/wrist symptoms a few weeks ago.

It started with a twitch of the middle finger, randomly going side to side on its own a few times a day for a few days. That has subsided, ever since then I've had some really strange feelings in my hands/wrist. It is worse in my right then my left, but both feel strange. In my right, there is some pain when trying to lift things or grip hard which extends up the forearm sometimes. Also, I am unable to lay that hand flat, in a push-up like position. I work on the computer a lot, but have been doin so for years with no problems related to that.

On both wrists, I feel like they are tight, when I move them back and forth, they feel really tight. Additionally, hands feel like they've been incredibly dry and feel somewhat stiff because of it. I tend to wrinkle quicker when in shower, and even when not. There is also occasional feelings of burning. All is this causes them to feel weaker, especially the right one, though I'm not sure it's clinical weakness, or because of the pain.

Lastly, while twitching has subsided, I am getting random twitches throughout entire body but more often in shoulders, forearms.

I know that pain is not usually an early symptom of ALS, as every where says noticable weakness is, but I also also assume that the weakess did not come on overnight suddenly and there may have been some strange feelings prior where you knew something was going on but you wernt quite sure what. I know you aye not doctors, but in your experience of dealing with and learning about the disease does this sound at all like symptoms of early onset ALS? Thanks you so much for your time.

Did you try the wrist splint I suggested? have you been to the dr? I am not a dr and I don't have als, but from what I understand it doesn't sound like it. My guess is carpal tunnel but only a dr can tell you what it is.

Try the wrist splint like Vicki suggested. It sounds like Carparal Tunnel to me too. But, we aren't dr's. Go to your primary one.

Thanks for the response and suggestions. I've been trying the wrist splint as well as icing it every night but really only slightlyAgreed, I'm gonna talk to him tonite. , if any, improvement. If anything I think the pain might be lessened which only maks me worry more about why any weakness would remain.

Please disregard that non-related message in middle of last post...not sure how it got there, result of typing on my phone.

Everything you describe sounds like carpal tunnel, but only a dr can tell you. If left untreated it can cause loss of grip and wasting in the hand. It took a long time for it to develop and may take a long time to fix.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back