Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
IL
City
chicago
For the past 4 months I have been having symptoms that have scared me to no end. It started while sitting on a stool and my right calve tightened up so tight it make my leg hurt and it is still doing it. If I don't wear compression hose my calves will both tighten up and make my legs feel stiff. My thighs burn from time to time and I have severe muscle cramping in my legs and upper arms for the past couple of months. I also have twitching over my legs while inactive and other parts of my body including buttocks and upper arms.
My thighs get feeling very stiff during the day making movement for me seem like a task.
I have had MRI's of my spine, neck, brain, lumbar, thoractic spine as well as every blood test available ....I have seen a neuro and he gave me clinical exam and seen no weakness and had an emg which was clean.
Is there a way of having all these symptoms and neuro exam by doctor was good and emg clean and should I still be scared of ALS.
I am 45 and was in good health until the beginning of June but since then I have felt something is inside my body destroying my muscles....and it is painful. I also can not stand for my body to be cold it seems to hurt worse.

Any information would be great and appreciated. Many hugs sent to all of you!

I would believe the neuro about als. Als is not the only disease that causes these symptoms. All you can do is go to your gp and maybe a different speciality dr. With the sensitivity to temperature changes I would say MS, but I am not a dr.

My post went to moderation. It will show up later.

Thank You I can use any helpful information!

All MRIs and blood test normal

Ok Ms. Taylor,

I keep seeing your posts pop up every hour this morning. Normally once you post it could take several days before others post so give them a chance. Start by reading the stickies in the DI HALS sub forum.

Luckily for most of us we have 3 - 5 years after diagnosis so we can take our time before answering.

To answer your question No you should not be worrying about ALS at this point. Your Nuro is looking for other possibilities. Let your doc do their job. They will probably do a lot more blood tests.

Good luck.

Last edited:
My neuro says he doesn't know what else he can do so he said he has no idea at this point he then said go back to my family practice doctor and my family practice said I may want to see another neurologist sonewhere else for a second opinion so I am searching for anything on my own...I have always been healthy so this has got me very scared and breathe taken away...any ideas on muscle cramping ..tightness..twitching with no atrophy

Oh Sorry. Do a search on the muscle cramps. There is a recent thread. Tonic water, chocolate milk, and an expensive 4 oz jar of cream seems to work well for some.

Stickies talk about that twitching.

Something as simple as dehydration can cause muscle cramps. It could be vitamin deficiency , let the drs do their job. Stop looking things up on the net. It will solve nothing and scare the wits out of you. Anxiety will make this worse, so try to relax, I know easier said than done but you have to find a way.

Yes the Internet does scare me and my nerves are getting the best of me...my neuro said with my clean EMG and looking at me that he says no ALS but after reading and my symptoms I got very scared

Please for your sanity believe your dr. They are educated, trained and experienced in this.

Wish I could because it is making me sick and I have a wonderful husband who is trying everything to help me but I am so needed to find out what has taken over my body and making my muscles cramp tighten and twitch all day long ....Thanks for all the replies and hugs to all of you!

You made need to see a dr for some meds to help with the anxiety. There is no shame in it and it doesn't have to be long term. Stress and anxiety can kill, so take it seriously. I wish you peace.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back