Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
nc
City
winterville
Hope you are doing well. To give you some background, via and EMG and NCS, I was diagnosed with ulnar neuropathy. I ended up having surgery in January of 2012. My feeling has come back to some extent, and I have gained some strength back between my thumb and pointer finger. I have had fasciculations in the surgically repaired arm and hand for over a year now. Over the last 6 months, they have been more spread out. Constantly in the arches of my feet (very subtle), knees, arms, legs, shoulders. I have this constant fear of ALS.

My question to you is, should I worry? I have seen 2 local neurologists who have told me that they see no reason to suspect ALS or MS. However, when I feel the spasms, I can't help but worry.

I would really value your input.

Thanks

Broad fascics with no new weakness are a good sign, not a bad one. Benign fasciculations are very common, and worrying only makes them worse. Stop living as a patient and go enjoy your life as recovering person.

Thank you so much. I have weeks where i feel good and don't think about it. Then I get periods where I focus on the fascics and start worrying again. Any answer to the question about EMG?

I love Beky's advice to stop living like a patient. GOOD advice. Als doesn't come and go. You are still recovering from surgery and I think you should be patient and heal. It took time to injure your wrist and it will take time to recover.

I wish you peace.

Thank you so much. I have weeks where i feel good and don't think about it. Then I get periods where I focus on the fascics and start worrying again. Any answer to the question about EMG?

I don't actually see a question about an EMG in your post... what is it?

I apologize. My biggest question was would they have seen signs of ALS when diagnosing my ulnar neuropathy? Thanks

hey there nervousJ, you might look at my reply over in the _other_ identical thread you posted.... 8^\

Ok, I read your question. I'm confused over why you would trust a bunch of layman in telling you what your doctors can see on the EMG over your actual doctors themselves. If they are confident you don't have it, trust them!

But if the details would make you feel better, a cursory search seems to indicate that ulnar neuropathy causes denervation, but there is no mention of re-inneveration. That would look different on an EMG, I imagine.

The reason I was asking is that the doctor who initially performed the EMG has retired. They were looking for the cause of tingling and loss of coordination in my left pinky and ring finger at the time. They were not specifically trying to rule out ALS at the time. My question is would they have seen something that would have led them to think ALS.

I should say I had ulnar nerve entrapment. They did a decompression surgery.

Yes, if there were any signs of MND on the EMG (e.g. active + chronic denervation), those should be in the report. An EMG is like an X-ray in the sense that if we are looking for a leg fracture and find a tumor, the tumor will indeed be reported. Get a copy of the report, read it, then get on w/ your life:) Also, as others have noted, fascics w/o weakness or atrophy over that long a time don't signify MND. I would look to your diet and other lifestyle factors, and possibly consider some bodywork.

Thank you for the insightful feedback! I am going to take a step back and stop focusing on the twitching. I really appreciate everyones input. I wish you all the best!

Unfortunately, the neurologist who performed the EMG has since retired. I don't have a copy of the report. I am guessing that he would have mentioned signs of a MND rather than recommending surgery for ulnar nerve entrapment? Is that safe to say? As I mentioned, I have regained some strength and function in the hand of the arm I had surgery on. I do still get muscle fascics when I am holding items such as my phone. Would that be normal with recovery of decompression surgery?

I am not a dr but it sound reasonable to me that you would still have muscle twitches while still recovering. It may never return to normal. I think the dr would have mentioned MND if he thought you had it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back