Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
Ny
City
Sea
I'm sick over this. I have twiches in both calfs and in my left elbow. The twitches in my left elbow seem to have stopped last several days. Im 48 yo with three children ( girls ) lots stress in my life. Went To neurologist yesterday had an EMG done. My left leg which has a lot of twitching came back with a neg EMg result, my right leg showed some movement on emg but doctor said these movements are from extensive back fusion surgery I had on L 5, S 1 and L5, L4. Does that seem correct ? Can that be possible.? I have No weakness. I feel like I do choke on my on spit sometimes more then I used to and think my post nasal drip makes me clear my throat and feel like I have water in my throat often. Neurologist said you do not have ALS I put my stamp on it. Tested my Strength arms legs walked on toes and heels etc. said your very strong .. Can someone please help me with any info you have. Terrified and feel I don't believe the doctor now. Thank you all.

Please believe the dr. they are trained, educated and experienced in making those decisions. Everyone twitches and the more stressed and scared you become the more you will twitch. Your emg was good and you have no weakness. The dr put his stamp on it and I believe him.

My post went to moderation, it will show up later.

Just so I understand it and there's no confusion: You don't believe a neurologist, with like 30 years + of education, who examined your body and tested your muscles and you're now seeking a second opinion from a bunch of cyber space total strangers.

Is that right?

Ok I'll bite - I agree with the neurologist.

If there's another neurologist in "Seaford, By, Us", perhaps you could book an appointment for another look-see.

Twitches are generally benign and I'm guessing the neuro explained this to you. In case you didn't hear him, please read the stickies and hopefully you'll get peace of mind.

Just so I understand it and there's no confusion: You don't believe a neurologist, with like 30 years + of education, who examined your body and tested your muscles and you're now seeking a second opinion from a bunch of cyber space total strangers.

Is that right?

Ok I'll bite - I agree with the neurologist.

If there's another neurologist in "Seaford, By, Us", perhaps you could book an appointment for another look-see.

Twitches are generally benign and I'm guessing the neuro explained this to you. In case you didn't hear him, please read the stickies and hopefully you'll get peace of mind.
I guess it seems somewhat backwards. Just wanted to see if someone had more insight and felt they were not 100% Satisfied with the doctors results and still feeling many symptoms. I just keep going back and thinking of these choking episodes Ive had last three / four months not many but sometimes while eating and sometimes drinking. Thank you for your response.

[[I guess it seems somewhat backwards. Just wanted to see if someone had more insight and felt they were not 100% Satisfied with the doctors results and still feeling many symptoms. I just keep going back and thinking of these choking episodes Ive had last three / four months not many but sometimes while eating and sometimes drinking. Thank you for your response. ]]

We have quite a few members who don't believe their doctors. I am one of the non-believers too. When told I had ALS I said "no way doc. You're wrong". In fact, at every visit since, I ask him if he made a mistake, or if I could please have something else. I'm advised he has nothing else on the shelf for me.

Seriously, I understand your worry, truly I do, but I'm trying to point out the obvious to you. You don't have ALS! Twitches are NOT ALS! Choking on food is not ALS! Choking on saliva or spit can be due to acid reflux. Relax!

You have three girls... That's a lot of estrogen in one house. My brother also raised three girls and he twitched too. Is it any wonder? My nieces are teenagers and my bro. Is twitching even more ( both upper arms)

I have ALS - he does not. Nor do you. Please, please celebrate!

Please listen to Elaine. Your dr did not steer you wrong. Stop looking up things on the net. Go be happy. Go hug your girls. Please......

I will, thank you Vicky thank you Elaine god bless you both

Can someone please help me with any info you have. Terrified and feel I don't believe the doctor now. Thank you all.

Doesn't sound like ALS to me, but time will tell. Go to another neuro. Surely you'll feel more confident in a second opinion.

Sounds like your dr. got it right. You had lower back surgery and the EMG is showing abnormalities in one of your legs. And if it was ALS, there would most likely be abnormalities in both legs and in the clinical exam.

However, I don't think it is possible to provide meaningful input without knowing the following:

-How long have you had symptoms?
-What does "movement" on EMG mean? I assume that it's spontaneous activity (fibs, psw, fasics).
-How long ago was your surgery?
-Was you clinical exam completely normal (e.g., no brisk reflexes or anything else)?

With answers to these questions, you could ask your dr follow-up questions to help ease you mind if you are still having trouble accepting his opinion.

For example, if your surgery was less than a few months ago, and the EMG is showing spontaneous activity, it is plausible that the surgery is the cause of the activity. But if you had the surgery months to years ago, and the denervation has been constant since the surgery, the EMG should show chronic denervation (large MUPs) in addition to the spontaneous activity. If that is the case, and large MUPs aren't appearing, you could ask the neuro why?

Or if the surgery was done months to years ago, the spontaneous activity could have occcured recently due to a reinjury of the surgery site, in which case chronic denervation would not have appeared yet. If that is the case, did you have a reinjury recently?

If you have brisk reflexes, you could ask if that can be explained by your surgery.

Again, I think your dr got it right. But with more information, you can perhaps ask more informed questions to ease your mind.

Otherwise, all you will get on this board are people voicing opinions base on the dr's opinion, not on real data.

[[...
You have three girls... That's a lot of estrogen in one house. My brother also raised three girls and he twitched too. Is it any wonder? ... Please, please celebrate!

Well said, Elaine! you had me LOL :)

Max

Hello blue dog
Thank you so much for your response ! My surgery was years ago (6) L5 S1, L4, L5. Doctor went through front and after surgery had some complications One of the implanted discs shifted causing Tremendous pain when I moved ever so slightly they had to out me in a plastic type body cast (removable). I've had issues with my back since Operation because I am thickheaded and still do a lot of things that I probably shouldn't so I have wrenched my back many times the pain is always down my right leg where I had the pain prior to the surgery that's where they said they saw some activity but zero activity in my left leg where I have a lot of twitching in calf for the most part. My exam was good told me I was as strong as an Ox and by now I would be showing some sign of weakness somewhere . My doctor Who is one of the top doctors and voted top neurologist the last 10 years on Long Island New York looked at me and said you do not have ALS you have bfs, it would be a lot easier if I had a completely negitive emg. I was told that you would not just get a little something in one leg and zero everywhere else, told it doesn't work that way. Do you agree. ?
Thank you for responding to me.

You are so right Max. Three girls can certainly cause twitching without question.

Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back