02/2011
Country
Aus
State
NSW
City
Wollongong
Hello,

My husband was diagnosed with ALS in February 2011. He is 35, I am 32. Recently we've been talking about the possibility of having a baby. Crazy idea, right?

I'm wondering if anyone knows anything about the effect of Rilutek, if any, during conception and pregnancy & if there would be any effect on the fetus. I've asked around and I've been told there isn't much human data so I haven't been given much advice. Does anyone know of any information out there?

Cheers.

Since you are not the one taking the medication there should be little risk if any at all. Now I don't know if it lowers sperm count, that would be something to ask a pharmacist. They would be able to give you the best answers.

Sorry my post went to moderation, it will show up later.

We have had other members have babies while their spouse had ALS. don't know about the Ritulek--You are just worried that it will affect the sperm development? hmm. I know it can affect the liver but I don't know about anything else. maybe he could stop taking it while you get pregnant just to be on the safe side.

Good luck with the baby making! enjoy the process and practice!

I think it's great that the two of you want to have a child together. But, I am scared about all that might be put on your shoulders should he progress fast. Will you have support in taking care of him and also a newborn? Would you be alright financially with all of this? I definitely feel you both deserve the happiness of a baby together though and wish you well. I wouldn't think the Ritulek would affect anything since you aren't the one taking it but I'd ask a doctor first. It might affect his sperm count? Take care, Kim

Yes I'm worried about the effect of the meds on his sperm and the possible effect on a baby. The dr suggested to stop the meds during conception but as there isnt much human data she couldn't offer me any more advice.

My concerns are the same as yours Kim. I've thought about it A LOT, almost everyday! I know my mum would help out a lot and she lives close by. I currently still work about 25hrs a week, I'm a personal trainer, I work mostly in a women's gym with a crèche so child minding wouldn't be a problem if I returned to work. It's just the financial side of things and dealing with my husbands condition. It's a tough one!

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back