Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
PA
City
Small City
Hi Everyone,
I have been lurking on these forums now since January, and have only written two posts in that time. Yet, I am still in a bit of diagnostic limbo. I continue to be amazed at some of the wonderful and helpful members on here! Thank you for all that you do and the strength many of you provide.

My story is quite long and detailed, and I won't go into the whole thing. I have finally gone back to the neurologist for the second time since February. The brief exam with my local neuro went well, which I was certainly pleased about. He detected no UMN symptoms (hyperreflexia, babinski, etc.) He tested strength and found no lack in strength. He talked about a lumbar puncture, and I asked for an EMG, just to be sure. He seemed quite fine with that. I then showed him a dent forming in my left thigh and in my hamstring. He just said, "Hmm."

My continued complaint is that my left leg doesn't quite work right (very stiff and no stamina), I am pretty fatigued, and believe my tongue has fascics (along with everywhere else). I just wanted to ask a few questions of you all and see if I could get some thoughts.

1. My left calf has been tight since January (that is not an exaggeration, I am well aware of my body being a former high level athlete). I stand up and after 10 steps it tightens up, and this has now progressed to include my hamstring. My left leg feels as though it's a piece of cement when trying to do anything for longer than a few minutes. Walking around the grocery store becomes a chore for it. Does anyone feel this way?

2. My tongue seems to calm down when I stick it all the way out and when I really let it rest. When I even begin to push it toward my lower lip, the top goes crazy with quivers. It also feels itchy and swollen after I have talked for long periods of time, and the quivers get worse. Is this strange?

3. Thigh/Hamstring Dent - I feel a pinching sensation in both of those places. Anyone feel that in areas of atrophy? So bizarre.

All I know, is that whatever way things go with my EMG on Tuesday, at least I will finally have an answer. If I do have anything in the motor neuron department, I am aware that it would be the strangest onset of all time.

The only other thing that has shown up in bloodwork is a Borderline Anti-DsDNA (Lupus Test), but negative for ANA. I am certainly shooting for Lupus, but the continual tight leg doesn't fit. Anyway, thanks for listening and commenting if you have a minute. Thank you!

Thanks to those of you that read my post. Please me know if it was too long or confusing, I can try to shorten it. Any feedback would be great. Take Care!

I read this thread and your previous posts. I still believe ALS ought not to be even remotely on your radar screen - except maybe for fundraising. You may have something going on - but I sincerely doubt it's fatal.

Good luck on Tuesday and let us know.

Elaine,
Thank you very much for replying, reading through my previous posts, and for your support. I was hoping that the lack of replies might indicate that people didn't feel that this sounded familiar. I will certainly update you on how things go Tuesday. ALS will always be on my radar screen, one way or another. I have learned so much these last 8 months. Hopefully it will only be to support the cause in the future. Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back