Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
No
State
Krakeroy
City
Norway
This is so confusing.... 3 months since I had a new emg after 9 months of twitching... But What about the constant twitching that never stops!? My legs and feet are going all day! I am totally fatigued in my arms and hands..lifting Even small objects and brushing my har makes them burn as hell.
Would You trust the emg Even if it was taken before symptoms of weakness occured?

Please respond, I feel like I am going crazy!

Tina

Forgot to say that my emg 3 months ago was normal except one muscle which showed large mup. The neuro said it could be from an old injurier.....

Have they looked at myasthenia gravis? Or fibromyalgia? It is not als, so you need to look at other things. A lot of these things mimic each other and it takes time to figure out.

Just because you have a clean emg doesn't mean there is nothing wrong. It just means no als. Which is a good thing.

Your EMG wasn't clean. You had a large MUP. You need to get another EMG in the same muscle and numerous other muscles. If no other large MUPs appear or any polyphasic MUPs, fibs, psw or anything else, you can be more certain it is not ALS, especially since you now have weakness (burning and fatigue).

The neurologists' stock answer when you have large MUPs without spontaneous activity is that you don't have ALS and it is a radiculopathy. It is the stupidest of all the stupid things neuros say. For example, you could have large MUPs with no spontaneouse activity and still have ALS because the collateral sprouting is keeping up with the rate of horn cell death.

I had clean EMGs at two and four months, and then, at six months, one that showed large MUPs in the muscles previously tested. Dr. said mulitple radiculopathies because no spontaneous activity. Of course that made no sense because I hadn't remembered getting hit by a bus or falling out of a fifth floor window in the past two months. So I had another EMG that showed large MUPs, polyphasic MUPs, and a fibrillation.

The point is, you need to do your homework and use common sense because the neuros certainly aren't doing so. When it comes to determining MS or ALS, the only purpose of a neuro is to order tests for you, because you can't order them yourself. Not to interpret them, just to order them. You need to do the interpreting and make a decision from there. In your case, I would get another EMG.

What did the doctor say? Has anyone mentioned bfs?

Tina,

You asked the same question on August 1. You got answers from two of the most knowledgeable members on this sight. Please re-read their replies.

Thank You for answering, 13 months of this, Its very hard....
Trying to get to work, take care of my kids, just be a good mother for them....

What about a new emg? The constant achy and heavy arms semester troubling....

Thank You once more!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back