Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
ohio
City
Little Hocking
I want to begin this by thanking each of you for the support you obviously give to so many people who may or may not deserve it. I have taken about an hour browsing the forums and so many of you have touched me already.

I am about to list my personal family history with ALS then I want to share some symptoms I am experiencing. As a disclaimer I want to say that no, I haven't spoken to my Dr because I currently don't have life insurance and I don't want to be in the middle of a diagnosis and try to get insurance. Yes, I am researching insurance policies and trying to make the best decisions for my children regardless of ALS's presence.

Family History of ALS:
Grandmother
Uncle
2nd Cousin
Great-Grandmother
Great Uncle

Current Symptoms:
-uncontrollable small twitches/jerks rarely visible externally in arms and legs
-cramps and/or "lines" of pain running down biceps, forearms, thighs, or calves (very sporadic)
-very stiff muscles; if I sit with my leg bent under my bottom for more than 2-3 minutes it takes about 30 seconds to stand on that leg and walk, if I hold my hand in the same position (holding a phone, a dinner plate, a pen) my fingers are stuck in that position for about 30-60 seconds with a "creaky" feeling lasting up to 5 minutes after I am able to move freely
-occasional pain when turning a door knob, cutting food, putting my daughter's hair in a pony tail
-obviously more frequent aches in all four limbs, it almost feels like it takes turns. One arm will ache/twitch in random places, then a leg, then back to the first arm...etc. Occasionally two limbs will be affected at the same time

I am only posting because if these symptoms don't seem like a true concern to those of you who feel this disease everyday I can ease my mind and continue focusing on my family. If any of you feel that these are familiar symptoms to the way this disease begins I want to concentrate my efforts in getting my "ducks in a row" before I seek a diagnosis.

Thank you for your time and God bless every one of you who stare this disease in the face and fight it everyday!

with a family history of ALS, you should definitely get a life insurance policy and a long term care policy too. get them fast and soon. No matter what, they are both important insurances to have in place. then get to the doctor so they can set you mind at ease.

I won't tell you not to get the insurance, but that doesn't sound like the early symptoms of MND. You have mild symptoms on both upper and lower body, and pain is a big part of it. MND's aren't the only diseases worth caring about out there, though, and you should get looked at once you feel comfortable to do so.

I agree. I was only saying to get the insurance because of your history. I don't have a history of ALS, and have both those insurances. I would just get them before going to the doctor for strange symptoms, just in case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back