Diagnosis
09/2013
Country
US
State
TX
City
Acuff
In 1973 my maternal grandmother passed away from ALS. I think I have always had a fear of this being a diagnosis I would recieve.

Luckily, I have been under the care of a neurologist for 2 years, because of another problem. So I was able to go see him with just a phone call.

I have been having cramps and twitches for about a year, though now the cramps are gone and the twitches are almost gone. m In April, I noticed my left had looked strange when I folded my them into my palm. Also my first finger won't bend down like the one on the right hand. I can bend the finger to wave with all four fingers, but not by itself. I have always had bony looking hands, with big bumps on my wrist from the outer bone. I have trouble buttoning and zipping things, but only in the

I have had a Nerve Conduction Velocity test. They did both arms, right leg, and my neck and back. Next Weds. 7/31 I am having a spinal tap and an MRI of my head, neck, and back.

My neuro says not to give up hope, that it could be a motor neuropathy, which is treatable and closely mimics ALS.

I just turned 50. I have a wonderful husband and two children, 20 and 24. I am stone cold terrified. I am now taking anti-anxiety meds to control the panic attacks I've been having.

My EMG. It definitly was a good one, since originally they were only doing a MRI and just added the spinal tap.

It showed fibs in 6 of 12 places they tested, all +1 except for one +2. In the PSW column there were 7 of 12 normals, 3 of the +2 and 2 of the +1. I only had 2 spots with fasc. labeled few, all others were none. Ins Act, Amp, Dur, and Ins. Pat were all normal. Poly had 3 of the 3+ of the 12, the rest were normal. Recrt. had 6 of the 12 reduced and the rest were Normal.

Any input you want to give would be helpful.

Tracy

@Tracy:

If I were you, I would go with your Neurologist's opinion that it's not ALS and could be a Motor Neuropathy. If he says so, he must be pretty sure.
There are so many (I mean it, SO MANY) diseases that mimic ALS at early stages.

Good luck to you.

It was not a good EMG. It shows problems.

He said he can't take ALS out of the list yet.

It was not a good EMG. It shows problems.

An EMG may come up "dirty" by countless number of reasons which not necessarily are ALS/MND for that matter.

Pinched/trapped Nerve = "dirty" EMG

Peripheral Neuropathy = "dirty" EMG...

And the list goes on...and on. However, none of these is ALS/MND...get the point?

Then...why worry about having something that could be TREATABLE?

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back