Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
AU
State
NS
City
Sydney
Hi everyone, I have posted here before, but now I'm starting to freak out a little more. I'm getting these fasciculations mainly on the right side rib cage. And the muscles seem now very weak, but. The weakness only affects My right side like you could cut directly down the middle and including my face. The brain mri came back clear, neurologist said she couldn't find anything. Went back to the gp because my right arm seemed smaller and I'm right handed.
He measured and it's half an inch smaller and for my dominate arm it should be the other way round and is sending me for a muscle biopsy, would that show evidence of Mnd or Als? Or is it only emg?

These symptoms have come on over the course of about 8 months, started in my right arm / hand when picking something up my hand would feel weak and tremor. My fine motor skills have been affecting, can't type as quickly and it seems my left is now compensating automatically even when going to pick something up ill go to grab it with my left instead of my right, it's like my right side isn't working properly. My right side will cramp if I stretch to much and something will start cramping, my right foot seems to have wasted same with my right hand but only slightly.
Then moved to the right side of my face and leg, when I would smoke it would just feel weak on the right side.

I've also noticed too, sometimes breathing out I get this smell of like plastic or like a balloon smell. Just every now and again. Don't know if that has any relevance, but going to the gym I noticed the top part of my bicep on the right side was thin unlike the other, just near the shoulder.

I'm. A 24 year old male freaking out, especially after the Dr asked if there was a family. History of Mnd.. Any advice or information would be much appreciated.

Seems strange to do something as invasive as a muscle biopsy without first doing an EMG. With your symptoms, the EMG might provide evidence of what is going on and negate the need for a muscle biopsy. I would contact the neuro again and push to get an EMG done first.

You say you go to the gym. How many years have you been lifting weights? What other exercise/sports have you done in the past?

@ Unsettled - it's great news that the neuro found nothing untoward. Your GP sounds proactive. Be patient, these things can take time. Try not to worry - it won't change anything and only make you feel worse. It's hard, but try to find fun things to do in order to distract yourself.

Please keep in mind that BlueDog, to the best of my knowledge, is NOT a doctor (although he goes to many of them and largely dismisses their findings). I would advise you not to emulate his behaviour nor "push" the neuro for tests - I believe if a test was warranted, it would have been ordered.

@ Bluedog, I was relieved to read your July 23 post in which you mentioned you would stop posting - that was short lived! Also noticed your profile now states you have ALS. You don't. Please, you ought not, for our good and your own good, be giving advice here.

@Unsettled5
It really doesn't matter how long you have been physically active. This is really just an excuse for bluedog to shoehorn his notions about exercise causing ALS into his advice to you. I may not be a medical doctor, but I do have a B.S, M.S. and PhD in science disciplines. One thing that scientists are taught is to question any hypothesis that lacks supporting, objective evidence. There is a lack of evidence supporting a link between exercise and ALS. All of the so-called evidence is anecdotal in nature.

@bluedog
I don't think you are not helping anyone here at all. Further, you are whipping yourself into a frenzy of fear and doubt. Please trust what your doctors and people here have been telling you over and over. I know, it's really hard to do that, and I will admit that I have my own trust issues as well. Just chill out. You really don't need to make yourself miserable.

Had a posting relapse for a minute. Will really try not to post anymore ... just still super flipped out. (My profile says "have ALS symptoms", not have ALS.)

I've only been back at the gym for 2 months thinking it might help the symptoms I've been having. Before that it had been a year or more since I'd been to the gym. I was just hoping for some. Advice or information. If that sounded like Als.
Even when I chew now, I've been compensating with the left side automatically.

Insettled5,

Find medical professionals to help. It does no good to panic and ask people if you have something you read about. Get the diagnosis from someone qualified. You deserve it. I have lost 40%-50% of all the muscles in my body and the pain was unbearable for many years. However, I am living my life. I still see doctors from time to time but I don't dwell on it. Whatever they come up with is fine and while they have spent years wanting to put a label on it, I filled up my time with life. I refuse to put everything on hold while I worry and do nothing. There are literally a million possibilities and maybe one thing that is really going on. Keep your focus on life while your doctors do what doctors do. Best wishes for the doctors to find exactly what is going on and they find the right treatment for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back