Not open for further replies.

paul71

Country
US
State
WI
City
W
My neurologist recently increased my Tizanidine rx because the spasticity in my legs is getting worse. I have terrible pain in my legs almost constantly. I am now up to 2mg 3-4 times per day. I still work so I have to stay awake and alert.

I was wondering, for those with spasticity problems, does anybody have experience with both Tizanidine and Baclofen and which do you prefer.

And no, I do not claim to have ALS. But I do have diagnosed UMN issues such as hyperreflexia, spasticity and clonus.

Thanks.

I take both at the same time. I find tizanidine makes me more tired, so I needed to drop the morning and afternoon dose over time.

And in case you didn't know, it's dangerous to drastically change dosage of both of these drugs so talk to your doctor on how fast to taper down or up.

And I've had good luck with valium at night to help with spasticity.

@Paul71:

Keep in mind that Baclofen is dose dependent.
You've got to start at the lowest possible dose and gradually start increasing it until you find the dose that works for you.
If you start with a high dose, it's definitely going to knock you out.

Regards,

Thanks for the replies.

He originally precribed 4mg Tizanidine twice per day but it made me too tired at work. We gradually decreased the dosage but then the spasticity and pain got really bad.

I'll have to ask my neurologist about his thoughts on Baclofen.

I was prescribed Baclofen during one of my past visits to my ALS Clinic but the same Nurse who wrote me the prescription warned me that it could turn my legs like "spaghetti".
That alone make me turn down the prescription.

As far as pills go, pretty much any dose that actually decrease your spasticity is going to make you fatigued and come with some side effects. It has to do with how they work on a chemical level, it is pretty inescapable. My doc gave me Provigil to counter the Zanaflex fatigue, and that is a route that is worth it for some people, take a +energy drug to counteract a -energy drug.

I have heard that a baclofen pump into the spine doesn't have as many side effects, since it isn't going into your whole system the way pills are, that might be worth talking to your doctor about. I'm pretty sure you'd have to show a good positive effect from Baclofen first, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back