Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
WI
City
DePere
I am new to this forum, so I apologize if my question is repetetive. I am in the process of being tested for ALS. My initial symptoms were widespread muscle twitching - not horrible, just daily twitching in muscle groups all over my body (upper back, upper arms, calfs, thigh, buttock, etc) The twitches only last up to 15 seconds in one place, but I have up to 8 episodes per day in different areas (that I notice, I may have more that I dont notice). They always occur when the muscle is at rest. This didn't concern me too much, but I have also noticed that my left lower forearm and wrist is sunken in comparison to the right one (I am right dominent). When I make fists, I have sunken areas by the flexor tendons on my left forearm that I do not have on the right forearm. If I make fists and then flex my wrists the left lower forearm has a huge indent on the thumb side next to the tendons. I went to the neurologist who thought I may have some "muscle wasting" in the wrist. I have also noticed that the muscle between my thumb and index finger is much larger on the right than the left. The funny thing is I have no weakness. The neurologist did not find any clinical strength deficits in my left wrist or hand.
My neuologist said my reflexes in my upper extremities were good, but my lowers were a little on the brisk side. He said they may still fall withing normal limits, just somewhat brisk.
I am wondering if anyone diagnosed had beginning symptoms such as mine? Atrophy without weakness and vague widespread twitching. If you did notice atrophy first, how long after did you notice weakness? I am scheduled for an EMG, but it is a few weeks off and I am just in a complete fog knowing that ALS is a possibility.
Thank you for taking the time to address my concerns. I appreciate it. By the way, I am a 42 year old female.

To my knowledge, you cant have pathological atrophy without weakness (ie..missing muscle would mean missing function)....And to be honest..if you are right hand dominant then your left side can look way different then your dominant side...I know mine does...And for the record..I have been twitching all over for nearly 4 yrs now and have terribly brisk reflexes ...Was diagnosisd with Benign Fasciculation Syndrome over 3 yrs ago..

Take care

Robynn :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back