Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
TX
City
Houston
Hey all,
I first started noticing symptoms (twitching all over my body) in May of 2009. I googled twitching on the internet and I'm sure you know what the search resulted in. Anyway, within a few months I noticed my right thigh was not as muscular but was still strong enough to not interfere with anything. Then I noticed the muscles in my right tricep shrinking as well as the right side of my tongue. I was convinced that I had ALS and went to see a neuro. He of course scheduled an EMG. Here is where I show my cowardliness. I didn't go, and haven't been back since.
Since 2009 none of the affected areas have gotten any worse. The right side of my tongue, face, upper arm and thigh definitely have some muscle atrophy. However, nothing has progressed to total loss or even any real impairment. They are weaker a little and get fatigued more easily but that is it. Now in the last few months I have had a whole new set of things happen to me. I am fatigued beyond belief. I'm starting to get sporadic swelling and vasculitis like spots on my legs and hands that stay for a day or two and go away. The swelling occurs in my joints and hurts.
I bring this up to you because I am absolutely terrified to go to the DR. The reason I didn't go to the EMG was that it was easier not knowing for sure if I have ALS. I admit to being a chicken when it comes to this. I'm just looking for advice and wondering if any of you have had similar progressions. I'm over 4 years since first symptom and haven't lost the use of anything yet.
I hope that I haven't offended anyone and I appreciate any help or advice that you can give me.
Thanks and God bless.

Symptoms since May 2009 and still you are relatively healthy.

Had you have ALS symptoms back then, don't you think they would developed by now, after 4 whole years? (?)

You also say that "none of your..."affected" areas have gotten any worse".
With ALS, trust me, you would be worse by now as ALS is relentless and will NOT stop progressing.

You also say that you spent money (or your insurance paid for it) to see a Neuro and you've got EMGs done along with other tests but you "ran away" because "didn't want to know the results".

So what do you want we to do about it?

We are not Doctors, let alone "Fortunetellers" thus, we cannot help you.

Carlos

Here is where I show my cowardliness. I didn't go, and haven't been back since.
Now in the last few months I have had a whole new set of things happen to me. I am fatigued beyond belief. I'm starting to get sporadic swelling and vasculitis like spots on my legs and hands that stay for a day or two and go away. The swelling occurs in my joints and hurts.
I bring this up to you because I am absolutely terrified to go to the DR. The reason I didn't go to the EMG was that it was easier not knowing for sure if I have ALS.

Now is the time to schedule the doctor appointment, so you can treat your fatigue and swelling!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back