Loved one DX
Country
DE
State
Bayern
City
München
Hi everyone,

I've been devastaded for 48 hours now since my father was diagnosticated with ALS. The EMG showed amplitudes and he has cold feet. My father lost weight after in March was diagnosticated with depression and took some antidepressive medication. Now he's feeling tired and his sleep is also not very good. Two weeks ago he stopped the antidepressive medication and went for a neuro investigation and that's how the diagnostic was set. No diabetis or tyroid problems have been found.

Could the EMG be influenced by the antidepressives and the whole body weakness following the treatment? My mother told me that he's feeling better in the last week and gained few kilos and is not as tired as before. He can (still) move the limbs and sounds perfect normal on the phone. His voices sounded strage while on antidepressives though.

Thanks
Oliver

Naxos,
The antidepressives will not influence the EMG. They can of course cause the tiredness, lethargy and slurring of the voice if you are taking a lot. Depression itself can even cause voice changes, if you have a flat affect. You do not say much about why your father was given a diagnosis of ALS. I do wish you all the very best. Do use this forum if you need help and support. There are lots of wonderful folk here. with great love and advice.

Thanks Alyoop,

This is the list of reasons I got from the doctor:
* muscle atrophies
* fasciculations (hands, legs and thorax)
* dyspnea on small effort
* intermitent dysphagia
* some tongue fasciculations
* EMG confirms the fasciculations with "gigantism tendence" and "neurogen aspect"

No RMI or anything else.

Thanks a lot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back