Not open for further replies.

JEB1979

Country
US
State
PR
City
San Juan
I've had charley horses on my calves before, like everyone else probably.

Friday morning I woke up with this terrible, terrible pain in my right foot, hurt more when I moved it but I WAS able to move it. It's Sunday now and the pain has dulled slightly but it's still there and gets worse when I walk or flex my toes.

Is this a muscle cramp? Could it be a side effect from the EMG? The EMG wasn't done on my foot but all those muscles are connected.

I've had them. Very, very painful, indeed.
On PALS, muscle cramps are mainly due to LMN (Lower Motor Neurons) problems. It's part of the disease. Again, I repeat, in PALS so there is not misunderstandings.

Now, on HEALTHY people, muscle cramps might be caused by many, many things.
Among these things, dehydration, muscle strain, holding the muscle in the same position for a prolonged period of time, inadequate blood supply, mineral depletion (especially Potassium), etc.

I don't think that an EMG necessarily is going to cause muscle cramps.

Carlos

I don't know what caused this particular one, but I have never had one that was so painful before. Does the pain from your muscle cramps last for several days afterwards?

I had a major cramp during my EMG. In my calf, it hurt so bad. My neuro said yep that was a cramp after he stuck the needle in, ugh.. I was sore for a day after but did not have any other cramping..I agree with other poster that cramps can be caused my many things. Taking Magnesium can help as can drinking some gatorade or eating a banana. If they continue, you may want to check with your doctor..But my guess is it may have just been your muscles are sensitive from your EMG.

During the night I would get painful cramps that would wake me up, then take Aleeve or Advil to help dull the pain. After I was given Cyclobenzaprine, Hydrocodone and Tramadol I sleep thru the night. I do have someone stretch my leggs during the day because my muscles are very tight after waking up.

I've suffered with painful cramps in my hands, calves and feet for more than a decade.
(I have not been diagnosed with a NMD).
I've had cramps so bad that the top of my foot and the side of my thumb have bruised.
These were attributed to mineral deficiency.
The pain usually subsides shortly after the muscles relax.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back