Learn about ALS
Country
PTY
State
Panama
City
Panama
Hi, I'm Jon, 25 years old guy...

Being here for a couple months and i have to thank you all for your kind words.
Ms pie, Vickim, Bluek58, NightHawk and many others, thanks!

Being an anxious guy all my life. No doubt about it, but this past months something is different. From time to time i have had some twiches, not to worry about.. but almost three months ago my right calf was giving me some trouble, it felt cramped, tight... i tried to walk but i felt different. Then my anxiety skyrocketted when learning about ALS.. Add depression too... I couldn't move out of my bed... so tired.

I started to realize i also was having pain in my forearms and neck for a while. Many things got me fear the worst so I Went to an internist... She did a clinical exam and told me "you are fine"!...

Fine wasn't enough so i went to a Neuro and she checked me. Everything went normal besides some brisk knee reflex... (ALS related, so more anxiety).. Neuro sends me for some for tests: NCV and EMG in 4 Limbs were performed by Neurofisiologists...

NCV results were: neuropathy (nerve entrapment) cubital and carpal syndromes in both arms...

EMG results were: s1 root irritation bilateral, denervation external calf bilaterally... polyphasic motor unit potentials in peroneous longus lateral... As protocol they also needle checked my back (paraspinal and one of my trapezius) with nothing abnormal...

Blood test, showed some elevated antibodies... yet another blood test recently performed didn't show the elevation of that proteins...

Anyway, my Neuro and later my Neurophysiologists just told me, you have to swim, walk... etc.

Would they be hiding me something? i don't know... either way days pass and i feel i'm not walking like i used too... also my right hand is giving me some pain in thenar which i know it could be related to the carpal tunel syndrome..

This week i had some lump in throat, salivation... ( i remembered they didn't needle check bulbar) well i had that sensations before.. i won't dwell in that too much...

Will be checking with another Neuro my S1 (back) problem as they didn't send me to get an MRI...

The thing is that there are so many things going on that...
I guess time will tell.
and well this is my tricky case,

Jon.

Hi Jon

First of all you need to take a deep breath and relax. This process could take a looooooong time. Months even years. And during all this time you should go on with your life. Whether good news or bad all the worry and fretting and researching is not going to change things.

Try to do with what you have. If you can't go over then go under, or around or through it. Just go do and enjoy. You will get your answers but you will have to be patient. I really believe you do not have als. but only a dr can tell you for sure. I wish you peace.

Thanks Vicki, I appreciate a lot your comments.

I'm trying to relax.. the thing is that in my family, Anxiety & Depression are always wandering for generations, so it will be hard...

But well i just got back to college for a new "adventure". Last week just started my Master in Commercial Law and i'm planning to get it no matter what...

Jon

YES! That's the spirit! School is a good thing. Get totally immersed in it. I hope you do great! The busier you are the better. But don't forget to have fun, that's important too. Life is short grab as much as you can.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back