Loved one DX
Country
US
State
Tx
City
Beaumont
Can anyone make heads or tales of this?

I think this is good news but I'm confused. Everything was normal, no Fibs, no CRUZ, no Poly, and all Fasics are 1+.

Summary:
1. Normal sensory and motor conduction of the sampled nerves
2. Enhanced Reflexes
3. Diffuse Complex Fasiculations. No evidence of denervation otherwise.

Impression:
Diffuse Fasiculations. The complexity and low frequency of the Fasiculations suggest MND.

I thought ALS always shows denervation? So does this suggest a MND other than ALS?

I don't know what to tell you other than I do not know how to interpret an EMG.
Although, if it didn't show either "acute" or "chronic" denervation, the it would be correct to assume that your Dad's nerves are okay. That's my guess.

ALS, as it affects both, UMN (Upper Motor Neurons) and LMN (Lower Motor Neurons) an EMG would pick up ONLY the damage occurring to the LMN which is seen as "acute" and "chronic" denervation.
The damage to the UMN is never caught by an EMG. That's why Neuros resort on Clinical Exam to detect UMN damage such as Hyperreflexia, Spasticity, bilateral Ankle Clonus, etc.

There is an expert on interpreting EMGs at the Forum. His nickname is "Wright". You can send him a PM (private message) requesting help interpreting your Dad's EMG.
Just be mindful that, to be able to use the PM feature of the forums, you need to have a minimum of 15 posts.

Take care.

NH

I'm no expert, but fasciculations without active denervation is almost always benign.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back