Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
AL
City
Sylacauga
I am 27 (almost 28) years old. I developed shingles on my right forehead May 13. Everyone thought it was poison ivy, and being the hypochondriac that I am, I didn't believe it and googled. It looked just like shingles, and I was officially diagnosed with them on May 18th. The swelling moved to the middle of my forehead. On Wednesday, May 22nd, my right quad started shaking violently. I googled and found ALS and the symptoms. My annual neurology appointment the next day was fine. However, on Sunday, May 26th, I got a cramp that wouldn't go away in my right leg that was behind my right quad. It spread through my whole leg with cramps and twitches. Within a day, it moved to my left leg and did the same thing. For 2-3 days it was non-stop cramping and twitching. I couldn't sleep for 5 days, I was so upset about it. The cramping and twitching moved up my right arm, across my neck and jaw, and down my left arm the last week of May. I'm talking about PAIN. SEVERE pain. My chest felt cold and hurt badly, and then it felt like I had heartburn. I thought I was going to die of heart failure! I noticed I was salivating a lot at night for three days or so, which has since subsided. I noticed it was hard for me to open a small bottle top (I dropped it), and my right arm is tired. My hand doesn't look right. Both of my legs are tired. I had to sit down in the shower yesterday. I'm shaky to stand on either leg. A few nights ago, my emotions weren't exactly right in a fight with a family member. Normally, I would panic and cry hysterically. Instead, I was calm and only at the end of the conversation did I crack a little. I have no reflexes in either foot, though I do feel when something touches them. Normally my back tickles when my husband rubs it, but I didn't feel a tickling sensation at all 2 nights ago. I'm really worried this is ALS. I'm not exaggerating any of my symptoms. It just all seems weird because I've always been on top of things, trying to make sure my body was healthy and now this? All in all, this has gone on for 2 weeks. I'm really really worried. Can anyone offer any insight?

By the way, I've lost 10 pounds since all this started. I was laying down one day, and I think I have hyperflexia because I wasn't even asleep and my right leg jumped heavily and then my left arm and then right arm. I still have occasional twitches.

None of what you describe, sounds even remotely like ALS. You do have googa lit is and I don't mean that as a joke. If you spend ages trying to self diagnose yourself then you just get in a panic. You are tossing words like hypereflexia around, but have no idea what it all means. You should go to your doctor and explain all your complex symptoms and see what he thinks. No one here are doctors, they can't diagnose or even have an opinion about such a mix of symptoms. That's up to your doctor.

Just as Alyoop posted, none of your symptoms remotely resemble ALS.
My advice, make an appointment with a GP and go from there.

NH

I'm getting an EMG done in about 2 weeks. I pretty much had to demand one. Update: June 7 and 8 I had a weak right arm. My breathing is a little off. My arm seems ok now.

Of course you had to demand an EMG - your symptoms are inconsistent with ALS. Frankly, I'm surprised a neurologist would cave on this " demand".

You may want to re-consider going without this uncomfortable test, especially since you likely don't need it. There's still time to cancel.

Hello guys, i don't want to be rude by posting a bit of my story in this post too.. the thing is that i'm having hard times right now...

Began feeling twitches (still) in right calf (mainly) and tightness, buzzing in both feet, burning sensation... weakness (can't walk normally as i used to, and feel better while at rest) also weakness in arms (forearms) and mild pain... also slurred speech sometimes... ( i believe that to be anxiety)

It seems not to be ALS (don't know)... yet i went to neurologist and they put me throught various blood test and nerve conduction and EMG in 4limbs and back/neck trapezius....
EMG results
Comments were: denervation external calf bilaterally... polyphasic motor unit potentials in peroneous longus lateral...

Conclusions were: s1 root irritation bilaterally, nerve entrapment carpal tunnel bilateraly.. neuropathy cubital nerve bilateral

i'm not preocupied with the s1 thing (i have read a bit about sciatica) but i'm really concerned about the bilateral denervation in both legs to be honest.!

any insight? i know the dr.. might wanna do a MRI.. but at this moment i'm scared...

If I was getting better, believe me, I would from what I've heard about it. I have definite atrophy on my right side now. My breathing has been difficult lately.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back