Reason
Other
Country
US
State
Ma
City
xyz
I am a wreck. I know tomorrow is my D day. I am 37 and a young mom. I'm tying to prepare myself for tomorrow's news.

It is going to be ok. Whatever the outcome you will cope. we are all praying the outcome is good.

I'll be thinking of you.

I'm hoping it's not ALS. But, regardless the outcome, we are here for you.

Take care.

NH

I think ALS is on the list most of the time when they order and EMG..For me at my clinical exam my Neuro did not find clinical weakness (even though I had perceived weakness) and at my EMG he just said "it was good, no indication of MND." and asked if I had any questions and then left. I had not mentioned at anytime what I thought I may have, I just had been referred to him from my GP for muscle twitching, muscle soreness and perceived weakness after a virus..Anyway, just want you to know that it still may not be a MND. I am a mom of a young child also, and I was worried about my EMG too, hoping for you that you also got some good news.

Update:

I had my emg today - both shocks and needles. The report is:
Non-diagnostic abnormalities. Acute denervation is seen in right tibialis anterior muscle which in isolation is of unknown significance. Slowing of the right peroneal conduction velocity is noted around the fibular head which may be technical or represent a demyelinating peroneal neuropathy. This study does not support a widespread motor neuron involvement at the time. Repeat study in 3-4 months.

So, while I feel better this still doesn't rule out als 100% correct? In other words, it shows weakness but only in one area so clinically they can't diagnose...today. They only stuck needles in one hand, my back and both legs.

I was surprised the didn't do anything in the bulbar region because I have the lump in my throat and weakness in that area.

" Does not support widespread motor neuron involvement".

In my world, that's good news. Focus on that if you can. Think positive. That's the best antidote to worrying. Time spent fretting you can't get back - so try to enjoy yourself and create good memories.

Wishing you well.

Thank you. I am trying to focus on that but it's just tough because I still have all of these symptoms that are real. The fasiculations haven't stopped, nor has the weakness or bad voice quality.

I wish I had found a neuro who specializes in ALS. I think that would provide me with more assurance.

The fibular head is a common location for compression of the peroneal nerve, which would be a likely cause of your test results. Chronic leg crossing is a common cause of nerve compression in that location. You have very good news.

Agreeing with everyone else try to think positive.

Just wondering if anyone has ever posted the results of an EMG which was a confirmed case of ALS?
If so...what are the markers they are looking for and how was it described?

I've read alot about denervation, conduction velocity and other terms. Which ones point to ALS?

My doctor just said "Your EMG was good except for one place in your leg". Sounds kind of simplistic.
After MRI, my diagnosis is a herniated disc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back