Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
usa
City
city
Please read carefully meds can cause all kinds of side effects that cause similar symptoms to mnd and als.
I been through it and was diagnosed with a form of Parkinson's called parkinsonism.
I was losing grip with my right hand. Right foot coming down with a slap.
Losing balance, couldn't do heel to toe, couldn't lift feet up they barely scooted.
Couldn't walk on heels or toes.
My fine dexterity was all messed up.
My words slurred
I choked on saliva
I gasped for air as well as sleep apnea.
And major change in voice

I wouldn't hope this on anyone but have found that its reversing!
I was on a mood stabilizer to help with depression and it turned out to cause me a whole host of problems

Which if wouldn't have been treated could have indeed had me get much
Worse and become what is called neuroleptic malignancy syndrome caused by mood stabilizers which are commonly prescribed. Mine was low dose of risperdal. Just a warning because my primary didn't even look into this.
So if any of you take anti depressants or mood stabilizers and experiencing these symptoms please notify your dr immediately.
Just trying to help!
I do understand the frustration of not knowing. And thinking do I have als?
I did twitch too.

Wow!

Thanks a bunch for this information. I honestly didn't know about it but now, I know.
I've always suspected that some prescribed drugs and over-the-counter medications could mess up with your nervous system and motor neurons very badly causing ALS-like symptoms.
Some...can be reversed once you stop taking the offending drug but...others badly damage your nervous system beyond repair and, you may end up with true-ALS.

Thanks for sharing this information with us.

Regards,

NH

Last edited:
Yeah and on top of that I developed a neuropathy which really all this could have been prevented if I would have been given a low dose of cogentin in the first place to combat side effects of commonly prescribed mood stabilizers.
Drs need to be aware of this too.

Hi ysabel, very interesting insights, thanks a lot for sharring!

May I ask how long you have been taking those meds?
And how long did it take to feel recovery from the day you stopped taking those?

all the best, D.

Hi Derec,
On and off since 2009.
I saw the Neurologist march 2013
Was diagnosed and only given the side effect medication and taken off the risperdal.
Then my primary got me on meds that did even more.
I'm not 100% yet but so much easier to move and now my feet lift and I do not need a walker! Yay!
The reason I post this is because there could be others that think its something like als.
Also some other types of meds could cause this and this never dawned on my primary at all.
I even asked is it my medication ? The doc said no.

ysabel - similar side effects you discribe some have been attributed to aspertame (sweetener) according to some and once they quit diet soda they fully recovered. how much truth in that i don't know. i have not drank a soda since dec 09 after reading about aspertame and it has completely eliminated my taste and desire for cake, cookies, candy and coke. before this i inhaled them like there was no tomorrow.

When I first registered here, my very, very first post was about an over-the-counter substance that could lead to neurological damage if misused.
I will always suspect that this substance could ultimately lead to ALS should the conditions be optimal for it and, if your genetic envelope is more susceptible than others to develop MND.

It's a shame that...because of that post wasn't an "uplifting" one, it was largely ignored and overlooked here.
However, I just wanted to make a point, and it was this, if that substance could've triggered some sort of neurological damage upon myself that could've led to something worse, I thus wanted to raise awareness so other people not sick with MND excise caution when using it so they don't develop any kind of damage upon themselves that could lead to something worse.
I wasn't trying to help people already suffering from MND but people who don't have this.

Let's hope this attitude has somewhat changed a little bit here.

NH

If you want to be horrified, check out the Wikipedia page regarding fluorquinolone side effects. I had a reaction to Ciprofloxacin in September 2012 and have never been the same. There are over 300 studies on the neurotoxic effects of this class of drugs, but the warning sheet merely says to "discontinue use and contact your doctor" if you begin to feel symptoms. What they don't tell you is that these drugs can cause permanent CNS damage (in addition to being toxic to human cartilage).

Also many anti seizure drugs are used to treat mood. Depakote and tegretol and others can also cause damage.
I'm not trying to scare anyone just get the word out that these side effects can and apparently with me did.

NH I agree with you my genetics are more prone to serious neurological conditions and those meds could trigger something. My aunt did have and pass away from multiple system atrophy. Thank god it didn't trigger that in me.

I just hope if someone comes here and is on any meds and having similar symptoms to these they speak to their doc ASAP. My feet come up now but my right foot still wants to slap down.

Colchicine is a drug used to treat gout, but I found out from my neuro that it can cause this:

-induced neuromyopathy often presents with a pattern of general muscle weakness, elevated creatinine phosphokinase, a diffuse myositic pattern on EMG, and noninflammatory vacuolar changes on muscle biopsy.

Nervous system side effects have rarely included myopathy, seizures, mental status changes, and neuropathy in patients with impaired renal function, and are sometimes reversible with drug discontinuation. Neuromyopathy occurrence has been reported with or without elevated muscle enzymes

My neuro told me next time my gout flares up that I am to call him and not my gp.

See at first they weren't sure because I had not been on them continuously.
Don't take that for granted, because I had a year off of a low dose.
Finally after seeing some remarkable changes even with some difficulty they are now more sure.

Interesting to know Vicki! Thanks for those warnings as well.
I've gotten to where I research every med they give me.
The parkinsonism caused by my mood stabilizer caused me more frustration than bouts of depression.
I'm keeping aware of what goes on with me more carefully now instead of not reporting it sooner.
I tend to self neglect thinking oh well I'm fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back