Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
Missouri
City
saint louis
I am new to this forum and came across it while trying to search an answer for my recent symptoms.I am really worried and it is eating me up from inside.I am a 29 yr old and have noticed twitching in my calf and thigh muscles since the past two weeks.It happens off and on throughout the day.My eye has been twitching as well but that has happened at times even as a child so I did not bother about that.The corner of my mouth has also been twitching lately.The only visible fasciculations I have seen are in my feet.I elicited my knee reflexes and they were very brisk,Id say +4 or even +5.Another issue that worries me to death is that since the past month or two there has been a nasal twang to my voice.I had initially attributed it to nasal stuffiness or maybe new onset allergic rhinitis but lately,I have choked on my cereal twice or thrice.I am a doctor and have diagnosed ALS cases in the past(who were much older than myself) but am scared to see a GP or neurologist myself because I fear the worst.I am therefore sharing my symptoms on this forum with the hope that other people might guide me from their own experiences... :cry:

Doesn't sound like ALS.
ALS doesn't cause eye or lip twitching.
I am NOT a Doctor but, I suspect you might be experiencing B.F.S. (Benign Fasciculation Syndrome).
But, how can you be sure? You've got make an appointment with your GP and then get a referral from this GP to see a Neurologist that could conduct more comprehensive tests such as EMG that could determine what you have.

Hope this helps.

NH

Thanks a lot NH.It does help.Im just scared to see a doctor for this,but I guess I shall..

I understand your fear, but since you're as a doctor who has diagnosed ALS in the past, please recall that clinical weakness typically precedes fasciculations. Have others commented on your nasal twang, or is this your own observation?

Personally (and I'm no doctor), I think you are stressed. And the more you self examine, the more twitching you get. You know of course that stress can also cause esophageal issues, including coughing and choking.

Do consult your physician but please do not go in there with pre conceived ideas. I'm sure you must find it annoying when a patient walks in to your exam room and promptly tells you they suffer from a rare disease because they googled their symptoms.

Until you see you dr. - try to relax. The odds of you having ALS are stacked in your favour.

Dang! Got moderated.

Seeing a dr can't be any more scary than worrying with what you are going through. And it may not be als. There is only one way to find out and going to the dr . It will be ok. I was scared when I went. I waited 6 months before I finally broke down and went. I was scared I had MS, AlS, or cancer, I didn't know what was wrong. I am glad I went and you will be too. I am sending strength and positive thoughts you way.

Let us know how it turns out. We are here for you.

Thanks everyone.Ill muster the courage and get an appointment soon.But I am just wondering if it is a coincidence that I have started having a nasal twang and choked twice on my food along with having these twitchings?Also my brisk knee jerk.How come all this is happening together...I do not seem to have muscle weakness though..This thought preoccupies me all the time and the few ppl I have shared it with do not seem to take it seriously.They think Im just being anxious or I lack calcium or other minerals in my diet.My sis says Im too young so I cant have ALS but to my knowledge there is no specific age for it..I do hope to God shes right..My appointment wont be until middle of June so Ill just wait.

Waiting for your middle-June Doctor's appointment s the wisest decision you could've made.

Good luck and keep us posted how it went.

NH

Geesh! My post must not have passed the sniff test, still MIA.

Go figure.

Geesh! My post must not have passed the sniff test, still MIA.

Go figure.

Just asking. Did your post contain a link?
I ask because from my own experience, usually posts with embedded links take longer to show up than those that don't have them.

Nope. And nothing untoward.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back