Learn about ALS
Country
CA
State
BC
City
Coquitlam
Hi there everyone,

I have spent hours reading stories of different people with ALS, MSA, Lupus, you name it I have been reading it, crying and really being inspired. I am a 22 year old, female, and I have been having strange things happen to me this whole month plus. I would like some clarification on ALS symptoms as I really do not know what to think anymore.

It started a month plus back, I ate half a marijuana cookie and was rushed to the hospital because my heart rate went up to 155bpm. The docs told me the cookie was probably laced and its a common reaction for someone taking any kind of drug for the first time. They told me I could go home and I should be well in a day or two. I was traumatized to be honest as I don't drink, don't smoke and I have never taken marijuana or any other kinds of drug substance.

My first problem after that day was when I ate food got stuck in my chest a while and my esophagus feels like it doesn't work properly anymore. I also feel like my digestive tract has lessened muscle control and I am dealing with constipation issues. I also have been having on and off nerve stabbing/shooting pains on my legs, hands and the back of my head. I also have on and off nerve pressure pains that come and go. I have muscle spasms/twitches on my lips, and around my body at random places. Painful joint pain especially on my lower back, near the spine and on my neck and shoulders. Feeling very stiff. I also have tremors/ vibrations that come and go, and my index finger twitches at certain positions. I also have a constant headache!

This past week, I have off and on numbing and tingling sensations on my hands, legs, neck, lips, teeth and throat. It comes and goes everyday. I feel like its tight to breath when these things happen. What's really scary is the muscle weakness on my left side specifically, first it came and went but now it's been weak for two days and its my whole left side. My knee has been randomly giving way too and I am noticing some mild balance issues and cognitive issues (mainly memory). I am not sure what's going on, I am so scared, it's making my husband worry sick and I had to drop my summer classes at uni. Doctors tell me it's anxiety but you just don't feel and experience these things. I mean it's very very real to me. They did the standard strength, neuro test and she said everything is normal, just a lil weak on my left but that's normal cos I'm right handed.

She said if it would make me feel better she'll refer me to neuro.
Anyone any ideas?

Jash

Your symptoms don't sound like ALS to me but...I am NOT a Neurologist to determine that.

You should make an appointment with a GP and, if this GP deems it necessary he/she can give you a referral to see a Neurologist for a more comprehensive and thorough check up.

Regards,

NH

Anxiety (and other mind-body conditions) causes a variety of very real symptoms. You say "you don't just feel and experience these things", but people absolutely do. Anxiety is tied into the production of inflammatory chemicals in your body, and they symptoms aren't just real, they can last for up to 6 months AFTER the emotional part of the anxiety.

Follow up with your doctors, but realize they aren't as crazy as they sound. Give this time. It doesn't sound a thing like ALS, and hopefully it will resolve itself over time.

Hi guys thanks for replying. I don't know how you guys manage to be so strong, I have been looking at myself and just so dissapointed.

I am a horrid mess, I don't know what's real and what isn't anymore! Ever since my last post I went to emergency cos my whole left side felt numb including my throat, I felt shortness of breath, and then pins and needles, twitching everywhere, but the worst symptom is the nerve stabbing pains I get at random places. My twitches are mostly on my left where I feel really weak. But then I still get them at other random places that are not weak. My whole body is aching, and just tender and in pain. Joints are stiff and knees feel weak. I don't know what is wrong, I keep thinking the worst! My doctor said to make me feel better we'll get an emg done, she was a little annoyed cos she told me nothing is wrong with me and since I want a problem we'll look for one.

I am so sad never felt this crazy before. I do realize I am 22 and should not be getting so ocd about this but I don't know how to get it in check, my anxiety I mean. The symptoms are worst when I have a panic attack. But I kid you not when I say my whole left side feels fatigued and I am a strong girl. The emergency doc said maybe you have MS and you need to see a neurologist and that just scared me even more. Cos if MS is possible, then ALS is too and all the rest! My back has these weird spots of pricking pain and warmth, my neck, and spine are insanely sore. I am also geting spasms in my intestines and chest. I also get weird buzzer twitches. My ears ring off an on and I get dizzy sometimes too. I don't get how half a weed cookie could do this to me? I would have never done it if I knew all of it would lead to this. I am so sorry to vent here, no one wants to listen to me anymore as people think I lost it after that day. I'll admit I was traumatized but I swear I feel the pain and even see the twitches, I am not making it up. I keep telling everyone the cookie damaged me but no one believes me.

Does anyone think half a cookie could cause ALS?

I am truly sorry for your pain and panic. No I do not think half a cookie would cause ALS nor do I think your symptoms sound remotely like ALS. I also could shake that ER doctor who said maybe you have MS. From the way you report it it sounds like it was said more to get you out of the ER than as a true balanced assessment and diagnosis (maybe I am wrong obviously I was not there). Anxiety and panic are part of this from what you have described they may be most or all of it. But either way you need to get this under control. Do you have a counselor or am
an upcoming appointment? I REALLY really really think you need to address this. If there are physical issues on top of that your panic will and by the sounds of it already has adversely affected the medical assessment.
I hope you can hear what I am saying. How many ER visits doctor visits and tests have you already had? Did anyone except you bring up ALS as a remotely possible alternative?

Take care of yourself
Nikki

I agree with Nikki.
I think you scared yourself good messing with drugs. I think it has gotten the better of you. You should seek help for the anxiety. I am fairly certain the cookie did not cause als. Your symptoms don't sound like als. Now you need to get a grip on yourself, stop the internet searches on your symptoms and relax. Go to the dr and see what they say. Then enjoy the rest of your life regardless of the outcome at the dr.

Hi Nikki,

I have been to the ER about 10-12 times in one month and they keep telling me its my anxiety. My doctor at uni also said I am crazy to think of ALS or MS even and she doesn't understand why the last ER doctor said that without doing any test on me. They also got me a counsellor as they think most of my issues are anixiety related and they think I have IBS not a motility problem. But I swear I have never ever felt like this before, I really feel something is wrong or went wrong. I am aware my symptoms are not the typical symptoms of ALS but when the ER doctor mentioned MS it freaked me out so much. I have had multiple panic attacks since that day and I don't know what is real. But I really do feel pain and weakness in my left and the scary twitching that appears near the weak area.

I don't know what has brought me to this. I know I need help but everyone is so judgemental of me and look at me like I am crazy. Thank you for your patience and advice I will calm myself and try to not think about ALS or MS. I am so sorry to bother people here, I am really embarrased. Thank you so much for taking the time to listen. I hope you are well and you are blessed.

I am so sorry for you. Really. But stop and think here. You have been to the ER about a dozen times so you have almost certainly seen more than one clinician and probably several? Do you not believe that they are educated professionals who know their jobs? On top of this you have seen your own doctor how many times? Anxiety and panic are disabling conditions. Panic causes chemical changes in your body. I understand this is new to you but the panic could very well have stemmed from the cookie incident.

Have you you seen the counsellor? You really need to work on this part so your doctor can sort out any remaining physical issues.

Good luck
Nikki

pot does not cause ALS, some believe that it will even alleviate symptoms. There is no drug that will cause ALS just by ingesting a small amount.

You ate half a marijuana cookie by accident (I think that is what you said),and now you are beating yourself up for that because you do not take drugs. your guilt over something that was not your fault is causing great anxiety that is manifesting in physical symptoms.

be reasonable, many, many people use pot everyday and do not get sick in any way. and, the pot that you did take has completely left your system by now. I am sorry, but you really sound like you are having a major health anxiety episode and really need to see a therapist or psychiatrist for this, not a neuro or another ER visit. If you insist on visiting a neuro or getting an emg you will not feel better or relieved if the result come back clean (which they will). you will be even more convinced something insidious is going on inside of you. I am telling you this because that is the reality that we deal with here in the forum all the time. you are 22 years old. I have a daughter that age so I don't want to see you waste your time on a disease you do not have. reading about ALS or MS will only upset you and make you feel awful. you are feeding the monster by being on this forum and asking us questions. I BEG you, realize you have health anxiety and deal with that--do not chase after this crappy disease. you probably can not handle it by your self--most can not, so see a therapist right away! There are anti-anxiety drugs you can take by prescription and get some therapy and you can get over this very quickly.

Hi all,

Thank you for the replies and concern. I completely understand and I keep telling myself no permanent damage was done. But at the same time doctors said the cookie was probably laced and I don't know with what. Someone here messaged me and told me it could have been laced with PCP or something else I googled and if it was there could be permanent damage to the brain.
I never had issues with eating or digestive issues, and now neuro issues before that day. I remained high 2 days straight and I only ate half the cookie so I am wondering what on earth I did buy. I know the first step is calming myself and trying to remain rational. But its been hard , after that day I have become afraid of pills. My doc prescribed Ativan but I am so afraid to take it afraid it may cause more damage. So I am drinking tea and praying and talking to you guys. I feel supported here even though I know I don't have any diagnosis yet.

Thank you guys so much for caring and supporting a silly young gal like me, means a lot.

Jash

Hi,

Pot can sometimes cause paranoia especially if it s laced with something..it sounds like you had a reaction to whatever you ate/took and it has left you feeling off and anxious. I had that happen to me years ago I remember sitting in the ER at Cedar Sinai until it wore off. Anyway, I would try and speak with a counselor and also consider trying the Ativan they gave you. If your other symptoms continue you may want to ask your regular doctor about a neuro refferal.

Jash,
Even if the cookie were laced, it's hard to connect that with your symptoms, and it's clear that the whole situation is causing you great anxiety as you acknowledge. But pain, twitches and all feed on that same anxiety. To avoid the "everything is due to anxiety" theory that causes the docs' looks requires getting past the anxiety first, whether with meds, a holiday away, talk therapy, some down time w/ your husband or all of the above.

When you are calmer, it will be easier to understand if there is a physical problem that requires sorting.

So try staying away from docs, reconnect with the places/things you like, try a half dose of the Ativan if you start freaking out (first dose at bed) and give yourself permission to get past this to the next chapter of your life. Groundhog Day was only a movie:)

You are doing your self a great disservice by coming to this forum. In the 4 yrs I have been here, I imagine there have been over 400 people who come here, and talk and read themselves into believing they have ALS. I only read your thread because you described how I feel. My husband has ALS, and I feel lost, becausenothing can be done to help my husband. We went to the ER when ny husbands symptoms were so bad, and gey admitted us, because there was something wring with him. He had ALS. If there was something really wrong with you, they would admit you. My husbands symptoms when we went to the ER, are these. . He couldn't grip anything, like a pen with his hands. He couldn't walk up stairs without assistance. He couldn't get out if a chair or a bed without assistance. He choked when drinking water. He couldn't open a bottle of water. He sounded drunk when he talked. His arms looked like toothpicks, and his belly was big, protruding like a beer belly. He was having difficulty breathing when he was lying down. I mentioned ALS to the ER doc, and she agreed with me that he probably did have ALS. The signs were there, and they did not ignore us, even though we had no insurance. If you had any symptoms if ALS, they would know. Also,in the 4 years I have been here, there have been maybe 20 people who thought they had ALS, who actually ended up having ALS. Try the Ativan, if you freak out, go to the ER. At least try to do what the doctors suggest. The way you are going, you will probably end up being admitted to the psych ward on a 51/50.

It's likely your cookie was laced with something. K2 (synthetic marijuana) can contain literally anything. Here is a link to an article about 3 teens who ended up in the ER. In case the link doesn't work, I will summarize:

One was in a catatonic state, one had problems speaking and moving, and another was very aggressive and restless.

All three recovered after being treated with anti-anxiety or anti-histamine medications.

After 10+ trips to the ER in a month, you should see a psychiatrist. There is no shame in that, you have clear anxiety issues and a psychiatrist can help you with that.

Here is the link, if the moderators allow it: Side effects of synthetic pot -- aka 'Spice' -- may be missed by ER docs - Vitals

Totally agree see a psychiatrist! No Shame.. Just do It.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back