Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
Illinois
City
Illinois
My symptoms started about 3 months ago with hand weakness. Mostly perceived weakness, but fumbling and definite loss of some coordination. This has progressed to arm, shoulder and weakness across the chest area.
I have painful cramping in my arm muscles and especially in my thumbs and forefingers (both hands).

For the last three weeks i have had the small twitches everywhere from head to toe. The twitches are constant when I am relaxed, especially in my calves but basically everywhere.

My arm weakness has gotten worse and my arms are painful.
I am having trouble with small tasks such as buttoning shirts and tying shoes. My hands do not want to cooperate. Typing this message is exhausting my fingers and arms.

I was inactive for a few weeks due to osteoporosis and have had progressive weakness from that, but the weakness in my upper body is more profound and "different".

Any advice would be appreciated.
I do have an appointment with a neurologist but getting anxious.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

My best advice would be to wait for the apt. I know it is hard but try to relax. Twitching all over is not a sign of als. Osteoporosis could have caused a weakness in the spine and pinching a nerve. I hope you get some answers soon.

Thanks Vicki.
I had x-rays of the spine a few weeks ago. I have wedging but no herniated discs or fractures. I am thinking the wedging could be a factor, but the doctor suggested a neurologist. I'm relieved to hear that twitching all over isn't indicative of ALS. The hand and arm weakness are disturbing though. I've given up driving and other tasks that require much use of my hands and arms.
My forearms get really tight and painful at times. Some days are better than others, but it's always there. I think I just handle it better on some days.

Hello,

When it's your appointment with your Neurologist?

My suggestion to you would be to wait for this upcoming appointment.
He/she (the Neuro) is likely to order some tests (I'm thinking of blood tests, MRI, likely EMG, and any other tests he/she deems necessary to get a better picture of what you have).
He/she is the expert on Neurological problems, also has the experience, the expertise, etc. to assess what you have and to make a correct diagnosis based on his/her analysis of the evidence shown by the tests he/she is going to request.

Here on this forum, none of us have the expertise of a Neurologist to be making any diagnosis of something overly complicated as the human nervous system so, we only might second guess but our guessing will never match that of an expert on the field of the Neurological Science.

NH

I see the neurologist on Thursday. I have heard people say that they don't often get the tests (EMG, MRI) right away, but maybe the neurologist will be able to tell me something from his examination. Whatever this is, it is already disabling. Would be just my luck to be the rare case that turns out to be ALS.

Forgot to thank you Nighthawk! I appreciate the reply. I had myself convinced that it was not AlS because I can still hold items, but the progressive weakness is a worry. I guess the weakness has to start somewhere.
I had a blood work up....most everything was normal. The only things noted were low sulphate and magnesium, but the doctor didn't mention them as being relevant.

Please, don't be negative.
ALS is very rare disease that doesn't affect everybody.
Just try to stay calm and relax. Just wait for your appointment to get real and precise answers you deserve.

Regards,

NH

I found this and think maybe you should ask your dr about it.

Symptoms of magnesium deficiency include: hyperexcitability, dizziness, muscle cramps, muscle weakness and fatigue.[1] Severe magnesium deficiency can cause hypocalcemia, low serum potassium levels (hypokalemia), retention of sodium, low circulating levels of parathyroid hormone (PTH), neurological and muscular symptoms (tremor, muscle spasms, tetany), loss of appetite, nausea, vomiting, personality changes [2] and death from heart failure.[3] Magnesium plays an important role in carbohydrate metabolism and its deficiency may worsen insulin resistance, a condition that often precedes diabetes, or may be a consequence of insulin resistance.[4] Deficiency can cause irregular heart beat

Thanks for the comforting words. And thanks for the information about low magnesium Vicki. I've read the low magnesium can cause twitches, but didn't know about it causing weakness. At this point I just want some answers. I don't see how people deal with these type of symptoms. I'm a positive guy but this has been going on for so long that it's wearing me down.

Well for your sake then I hope whatever you have going on is something curable. I am 6 years into mine problem. It is my new normal. You do adjust when you don't have a choice.

I try not to complain, too many here who have things way worse than we do. Try to stay positive and relax. Let us know how things turn out.

Thanks. I will let you know what I find out. I just checked my blood test results and my magnesium was normal. It was low in my urine test only.
I don't know what that means.
Wow. Not sure how I could handle 6 years of this weakness and pain. I have the utmost respect for those of you who do. And my thoughts and prayers are with you.
I did get used to chronic neck and back pain so I guess you do what you have to do.

I'm posting here as a newbie, too, but just wanted to say sorry to are going through this as well. I've been undergoing testing for two months now and it's exhausting. You want answers, but you don't...

The progressiveness of mine is what lead me to this forum. I hope you can get answers soon. I would much rather be playing with my five year old than running around to doctor after doctor.

Thanks and I know what you mean. I feel like life is passing me by. My family doesn't understand what is going on because I don't understand it. They have been great supporters but it's so frustrating to not know what is going on.

I actually got in to see the neurologist today. He did a physical exam and said I have weakness especially on the right side, which is my dominant side.
Also loss of feeling in my feet. He ordered a head and spine MRI and an EMG.
He said my symptoms do not present as ALS, but he can't rule anything out 100%.
He mentioned being concerned about my spine being the culprit.
So, still in the dark but I think I am taking the right steps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back