Not open for further replies.

surf

Country
US
State
nj
City
highlands
Sorry to take up your time but im worried about my Dad.Heres whats happening.He is 85 and has Ruehmatoid Arthritis and been taking Methrotrexate for over 10 years.My parents got aletter about Methrotrexate not being covered by INS anymore? so he was off his meds for almost 3 months.He started limping and complaining about his knee and thigh hurting.They are very stubborn and finally he got so bad he could barely walk they let me call 911 and we went to the ER.We were there for 8 hours and all tests came back fine.Blood work,knee x ray,hip x ray and EKG..They started him on Prednisone at hospital and we went to his RA DR the following week who got him back on Methrotrexate and continuing with the Pred..He also prescribed PT To come to the house.My concern is he lost so much weight and muscle over 3 months hes just so week..His arms and legs have all atrophied at once,but his right leg is very week.Needs a walker to get around..He cant lift his right leg off the bed when lying down but his feet move strong.Both of his feet have lots of strength when I tell him to move them up and down and and I give him resistence...Lots of power to move against me..Im wondering if this could be ALS or some kind of back issue? The RA DR said the meds will take 6 to 12 weeks to start working again and its been less than 5 weeks..Still has lots of pain in knee and thigh...Its just scaring me how weak his right leg is...He has no trouble breathing,can move both his arms and his grip is very strong in both hands...He can chew and drink without choking...We never had his back x rayed because he has no pain in his back? With his legs so atrophied and week would he still have strength in his feet if he had ALS? Also he has never complained about any muscle twitching..He goes back to his RA DR in a week...I would love to know whats going on with him? THX

I can appreciate the concern for your father. But he is 85 and has rheumatoid arthritis. The medication he is on has many side effect. It weakens his immune system among other things. Lack of activity can cause his muscles to weaken. I doubt he has als. Wait until you see the dr again. Write down all your questions and ask the dr. Rheumatoid affects more than just the bones. I don't know if any of this helped but I think you can cross als off the list.

My post went to moderation, sorry. It will show up later.

I forgot to add even tho he cant lift his right leg up while laying in bed,when I give him a little excercise he can stand using his walker and give me 10 knee bends up to his waiste with both legs...He does 50 every other day but again his right leg struggles more than the left...I also have him lifting heavy books over his head for 10 reps just to gethim moving..Also I make him do 10 reps of geting up and down out of bed...I cant wait for the real PT to get here because I really dont know what im doing...He also has no problem speaking..forgot to mention that up top.

Hard to say whats wrong,it could be many things.
I understand how you would think of als with the atrophy and weakness but it would be very rare for it to be as bad as your dad in such a short time i think.
Elderly can develop atrophy for no reason and given his age its understandable.
Methatroxate is a very powerful drug,could be a result of suddenly coming off that.........just guessing.
Its best to go with your dad to his appointment and bring up your concerns.
And please be careful with his exercising....if i were you i would wait to see pt.

The moderator has certain words that key moderation when put in a post. It may take a few hours but it will show up. It is basically what Olly said.

I'm guessing his atrophy was from being in bed for over 2 and a half months. Knee to painful to walk. There's not much for him to do except lay in bed.

Thats probably it,old age is a terrible thing.
Try not to worry,i certainly dont think its als related.
With summer on its way it would be good for him to get outside,in the garden or taken out in a wheelchair.
With old age the mind needs to be kept stimulated also,maybe find a hobby or something he can do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back